AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Onkyo TX-DS989 and though I haven't had much time, I hooked it up to my two Diva 6.1s. Because, as mentioned earlier, I did not have a lot of time to tweak the receiver, etc. I may be missing something. The sound level is not as expected. My sony 100 watt 2 channel receiver can blow this thing away; I mean it can get loud but it definately does not sound like 130 watts. Also, the fan is not moving on it. Is it thermostatically controlled or should it always be moving?

Thanks

-Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I have a 797 and the fan has never come on which is a good sign that the receiver is well ventilated.

I can only suggest you use a sound pressure meter and set the speaker levels correctly. I've done so for my 797 and it's 100-watts per channel output is quite "loud" at reference level - which is all the way up to 82 on the 797. Turning it up any louder will drive anyone out of the room.

Also, new to the 797 anyway, is a Impendence setting in the menu. The default on the 797 is 6 ohm which is meant to handle 6 to 8 ohm speaker systems. The other setting is 4.

Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Wesley. I'll take a look at the tips you gave me. How did you "tune" your 797 with your SPL?

Any other tips are welcome.

Thanks

-Andrew

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also have a 797, which I love! If the fan hasn't turned on, then you aren't even experiencing what the receiver is capable of doing. On a scale of 1-100 on the volume thingy, I need to turn my receiver up until about 70-75 to get the fan to turn on and I have 4ohm A/D/S tower speakers in the L/R positions which drive other receivers ot the grave, which is why I bought the 797 in the first place, don't see the need to ever buy an external amp(I might nayway:) ) The 989 is a very capable receiver, I listened to it as well as the 898 and 696. The 797, 898, and 989 are by far a BIG step up from the 696/new 700. The whole sound changes, but don't hesitate to crank the volume, 75% of the Onkyo's power is in the top 25% of the volume dial, so just crank it up. Just wait until you get all five speakers hooked up and you can use all channel stereo or PLII(you can download it unless yours has it), wow, the Onkyo will really blow you away.

·
Registered
121 Posts
KyleY-

You mentioned in the last sentence of your post "you can download it unless yours has it". What should be downloaded? I too have a 797 and interested in setting it up to perform to it's optimum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.