AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I may have a possible problem with my audio setup of my system since adding a new tv and blu ray player. I was hoping you may have ideas, or perhaps there is no problem.

I just hooked up a Sony 52 XBR9 televsion with a 360 model Sony blu ray player. I have a Yamaha RXV-1200 receiver additionally. Back when I had just a regular DVD and using an optical cable, when the audio source was multi channel the front of the receiver would show me there was 5.1 sound.

Fast forward, I am using an HDMI cable from the blu ray player to the TV and an optical cable from the audio out of the tv to the receiver. I bought the Dark Knight blu ray disk to test out the system. I noticed while watching the sound did not seem as good as it did with my old system, so I looked at the receiver and it was in "prologic" mode and only showed 2 speaker input into the receiver.

I had to listen to the movie at a much higher volume level than anything I have done in the past, so it appears to me the receiver is taking 2 channel and simulating 5.1 channel sound. I definitely don't want this but I'm unsure if it's just the way blu ray works? I haven't had a chance to use a regular DVD where I can choose the audio output yet, I will do that later today.

My question is, is using the TV as the optical out causing this? There is no setting in the TV where I can set anything on the audio out, I assumed that it's just a pass through, HDMI sound in, optical out. I thought that would be better than HDMI into my receiver and HDMI to the TV. Matter of fact, I don't even know if my receiver supports HDMI anyway. Just checked, the receiver does not have HDMI out anyway.

Am I even doing something wrong?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well it must have something to do with the blu ray, I just put Star Wars III in which you can select the audio track and the receiver is reporting it's a digital signal and 5.1 as I chose.

So now i"m confused why the blu ray Dark Knight seems to only have a 2 channel track, and not selectable for that matter. Very odd.

·
Registered
22,124 Posts
yes, it's the way you have it setup that is causing the problem...

as a general rule, displays will not take an hdmi audio source and send 5.1 sound out through their spdif out port... they will downmix exactly in the way that is happening to you (or, alternatively, do nothing)...

you will need to connect the audio from your player directly to the avr... since you do not have hdmi out on your avr, you can't use it as a switcher (which would be the "suggested" method from me)... you'll need to run hdmi to your tv, and a spdif cable to your avr...

good luck!

·
Registered
22,124 Posts
spdif = optical (or coax)....

i should have been clearer...

possible scenario...

when you are playing the sd disk (star wars iii), it's soundtrack is dd... when the player "asks" the display "can you take this?", it says "yes, send it to me", and it takes it...

when you are playing the bd disk (dark knight), the player "asks" the display "can you take this high rez codec?" and it says "no, i can't", so it is automatically sending the signal downmixed to 2.0...

as far as not being able to select different soundtracks on the dark knight disk, that's somewhat confusing... i'm not familiar with that player (and can't seem to find a manual for it online), but it's possible that a combination of player settings isn't allowing it... doesn't make "sense", but many time things don't make sense to me... i would imagine there is a thread for your player in the blu-ray section, try there...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The player is a Sony BDP-S360.

Thanks for the clarification. I have no idea why it would have trouble with the BD and not the standard DVD. Very odd. I will look around the other forums and see what I can find.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmason2003 /forum/post/16846233

The player is a Sony BDP-S360.

Thanks for the clarification. I have no idea why it would have trouble with the BD and not the standard DVD. Very odd. I will look around the other forums and see what I can find.

Thanks for the help.

The dark knight is one of those blu-ray discs that does not have a menu--to select menu, chapter select ad so on. The movie automatically plays without giving you those choices. On your remote chose audio or top menu or something like that(don't have sony blu-ray player-have Panasonic) to bring up the menu and then choose the language you want(DD) and then see if it lights up DD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll give that a try. As long as there should be no issues running HDMI into the set and then optical into the receiver, I'm happy.

Now I'm realizing one of my main speakers is blown I think.
New problem to tend too.

·
Registered
503 Posts
You will not get 5.1 sound by outputting audio from your TV to your receiver. Most TVs only output stereo. You need to connect your BD audio to your receiver directly. If you don't have HDMI use optical or coax.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel /forum/post/16856509

You will not get 5.1 sound by outputting audio from your TV to your receiver. Most TVs only output stereo. You need to connect your BD audio to your receiver directly. If you don't have HDMI use optical or coax.

Agreed. This is the only way to do it. Never use the audio out on your tv unless that is the only source.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like I said, I tried Star Wars, actually picked 5.1 with the HDMI through the TV and optical from the TV to the receiver, and got 5.1 sound. For whatever reason, Dark Knight blu ray did not do this.

I would think the TV should only act as a bridge. Not process it or filter it.

So if I listen to you guys, I run HDMI to the TV from the blu ray and then an optical to the receiver from the player? Can it do this or will it still send the sound to the TV? Or do I have to pick that in the options?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Depends, it may do both at the same time. May have to go into the settings.

when you play the DVD did it say Dolby Digital on the front of the AVR. I ask because you may of had a stereo to surround process turned on (there are a few of them). Regardless the best way is player straight to the AVR for sound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.