AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020 fd/Bought new 8 months ago

I have the opportunity to possibly purchase this used tv and need some advice from the experts please.

At this point I am not sure if it was taken through a proper breaking in period or if it was ever calibrated. How would I be able to tell when I view the TV? or can I?

Any suggestions as to what I need to look for before I would purchase?

The owner doesnt know for sure but is guessing there is 1200 hrs on the tv.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstar25 /forum/post/16909964

Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020 fd/Bought new 8 months ago. I have the opportunity to possibly purchase this used tv and need some advice from the experts please. At this point I am not sure if it was taken through a proper breaking in period or if it was ever calibrated. How would I be able to tell when I view the TV? or can I? Any suggestions as to what I need to look for before I would purchase? The owner doesnt know for sure but is guessing there is 1200 hrs on the tv.

Just bring up a white screen and check the panel for any signs of burn-in when you go to meet the owner. If there's none, then it doesn't matter if it was broken in or not. As for not knowing if it was calibrated, surely the owner would know if he had it calibrated or not.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
In addition to running a white screen, I would also try a few slides of varying shades of gray, and the various primary colors, i.e. red, green, blue. The reason I say this is because I bought an open box Hitachi plasma from Magnolia, and I have 30 days to take it back, and I noticed some uneven wear or burn-in (not sure which is the more proper term to describe it), and periodically I run slides to see if the blu ray logo on their hd demo is fading. It's barely noticeable on a white screen, and some of the other uneven wear isn't as easily noticeable on the white slide either. But on certain slides of red, green, and blue, it becomes quite noticeable and easier to see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.