AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my opinion no one has yet come up with a viable solution to the Expensive consumer MP3 storage devices like the FIREBALL. I want to be able to store all my music on the FIREBALL unit. I am not a computer programmer and I do appreciate all the effort put forth by people writing their own programs, etc. However, the FIREBALL from Escient is a cool solution that works without computer headaches.

I would appreciate some input on this?

Thanks

ABE

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
uh, there are numerous solutions if all you want is to store your mp3s on a server and have them play elsewhere (like on your HTPC or Audiotron).

I put together a $450 PC with a 60GB drive, put 10GB of MP3s on it and use 3 PC and an Audiotron to play the MP3s over my LAN. Mine runs linux (which is what I think you meant by programming) but you can do it with a micro$oft os as well.

You can also buy a Network Attached Storage box (which is basically a networked computer, but plug and play) or you can buy home hubs that do similar.

Phil

·
Registered
727 Posts
FIREBALL from Escient is effectively a pre-programmed PC. Similar product is available form Imerge . You should be aware that the claimed 700hrs of music is only possible if you are using 128kbs compression mode, which would be far from audiophile quality.

Check if the unit supports loss-less compression modes and that the album/track info is download-able from the Internet.

Also, ask them explicitly what audio hardware is used as some of this units have been associated with very elementary sound cards. Always opt for the largest hard drive available as those get filled very quickly.

The price of FIREBALL or Imerge Sound Server should be compared to a price of buying a generic PC with (but paying attention as to what components are selected) that would cost you $1,00 to $1,500 max for high-end choice. Good music management software can be found for free or around $100. On top of that you need to and the cost of your time and the learning curve.

At the end, if the time involved is too long or your cost per hour is too high, it may be cheaper to buy a ready made solution.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
ApoDoc.

What exactly are you trying to do?

I store all my mp3's on a single PC. I can listen to them on any other PC in the house. I can distribute the sound from a single PC to all the other stereos in the house. I also have an audiotron that I can listen to my music through. None of this was much of a headache.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing out there provides a seamless video interface like Escient. The CDDB enabled GUI is purely awesome. Heck, Windows XP MEDIA EDITION has a better GUI for music than anything else out there for the PC. That is what I am looking for. A GUI system that works like Escient.

Abe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.