AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 30 minute weekly program which is produced in 1080i HDTV with Dolby 5.1 surround.

Two questions have been raised:

1. How many homes have capability to receive it?

i.e.: How many set-top boxes are in homes (not just on dealer shelves), do they receive OTA digital, and/or, satellite HD, do they have surround sound hooked up?

2. What stations have the capacity to downlink HD satellite feeds, including Dolby-E format, AND have the ability to record and playback the feed, as any other syndicated programming, but in HD and 5.1?

Anyone have a good source for info on #1?

Any station or network people have answers for #2?

·
Registered
545 Posts
See the CEA site for this kind of info. It will take some work to find it all.

The figures I recall are 2 million plus sets HDTV capable, with anywhere

from 100,000 up that have settop boxes for HDTV on them. The figures

for 5.1 are, of course, far higher. Some people, notably Mark Cuban,

claim that the figure for STBs is too low, that the real total is higher,

I believe based on the fact that Mark gets reports about HD-NET

viewership and that virtually all HD-NET viewers can also get OTA

because most/all satellite boxes are also OTA equipped.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I know the ABC and NBC affiliates in Phoenix can record, because they have to in order to provide the programming here in the no-daylight-savings-time world.

Give us the subject matter and let us find out which locals are candidates. WBZ in Boston shows the UPN movie series so they are a possible candidate.

Al Keown

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
There were some statistics on STB and integrated receivers sold through the end of 2001. They first came out with the number 362,000 then retracted it and said it was lower. However they were selling at the rate of about 25,000 per month. This equals maybe 400,000 STB and integrated sets sold to date.

Rick R

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Al K
I know the ABC and NBC affiliates in Phoenix can record, because they have to in order to provide the programming here in the no-daylight-savings-time world.

Give us the subject matter and let us find out which locals are candidates. WBZ in Boston shows the UPN movie series so they are a possible candidate.

Al Keown
I would imagine that they just take the west coast feed instead of tape delay.

They would have to record if they observed DST because there is no mountain feed, just east and west. Central uses the east coast feed, thus the familiar 8:00/7:00 central.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Not to turn this into a Phoenix thread, but the primary reason that KPHO, the CBS affiliate doesn't provide HD is that they have to record the programming because there are no feeds for Mountain time zones that are not on daylight savings time.

Al Keown

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Phoenix being in Mountain Standard Time should not be a problem. Mountain Standard Time = Pacific Daylight Time. KPHO needs a better excuse.

I used to live in Phoenix and have driven back and forth to Los Angeles for the weekend many many times.

Rick R

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R
Phoenix being in Mountain Standard Time should not be a problem. Mountain Standard Time = Pacific Daylight Time.
CSI comes on at 8:00 AZ time in Arizona, in LA its 9:00 LA time. That is what Central is. CSI comes on at 9/8 Central. So yes, Mountain Standard Time = Pacific Daylight Time, BUT Central doesn't equal Pacific time.

And in winter, LA's primetime starts 2 hours after Arizona's do. That's why Phoenix stations must record.:)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ken,

Are you interested in selling the program or considering putting it on satellite for stations to pick for free? I am just a curious HD enthusiast without any expertise to offer you. I do know that the HD tuners available to C/Ku band dish owners do output 5.1. There are several thousand of us who would be part of your audience if you put it up unencripted. Also, the Canadian DBS systems seem willing to put up programming from a variety of sources if you are interested in the Canadian market. Their tuners also output Dolby Digital.

Roy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.