AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

We had the Comcast Motorola STB that looked like this one (I am not positive of the model, forgot the check the model) It only had component outputs, no HDMI. So, we went into Comcast to get a box that could support 1080p and HDMI. They gave us the Motorola dcx3200 STB.

I am not positive, but it appears that the HD channels on the new box have worse picture quality and more motion artifacts than our old silver STB.

I am not sure if it is just me looking for reasons to find a problem, but is it possible that the picture quality would differ noticeably from set to box to box?

I was using component cables with the same settings on both boxes. Any advice or info on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhrenBa /forum/post/16989717

I am not positive, but it appears that the HD channels on the new box have worse picture quality and more motion artifacts than our old silver STB.

I am not sure if it is just me looking for reasons to find a problem, but is it possible that the picture quality would differ noticeably from set to box to box?

Yes, that can happen.

Quote:
I was using component cables with the same settings on both boxes. Any advice or info on this? Thanks.

Exchange for another box.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/16992873

Did you the same resolution over component from the new STB that you did from the old STB?

Your DCX has a lot of color quality settings such as sharpness that were not available with you old STB.

They are describred starting on page 28 of the DCX user's manual linked to below:

http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...0UserGuide.pdf

Yep, both models were outputting 1080i over component. I'll be getting an HDMI cable so that it can support 1080p.
Thanks for the tip about the color settings. I'll take a look at that manual. Maybe I'll try tweaking it a bit. The thing that seems to disturb me the most was the actual compression artifacts etc and I am not sure if that was just coincidence, the channel itself, or the box.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
AFAIK the unit only will support 1080p/30 or 1080p/24 over component or HDMI. You may find that 1080i gives better results since your STB is receiving HD content in either 1080i/60 or 720p/60,

Try reducing the sharpness setting as discussed in the manual to 0 and that may eliminate the artifacts etc you are seing over 1080i component with the new STB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.