AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says is it possible to add a powered sub to the Sony HTSS360?

If possible how would I connect it and how would it sound? Just trying to decide if it would be worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts
Nope! When you purchase bottom level HTIB thats what you are stuck with.


Thats why it helps to spend alittle more money up front so upgrading will be possible in the future
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
does it have a jack at the back or does it use speaker wires?

If it uses speaker wire then your sol. but if it uses a jack, then you can buy a male to 2 female splitter and use any audio jack and run it to each respective sub woofer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,938 Posts
Wait, is the OP trying to REPLACE the sub, or add a second one? Because those are two different approaches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/18186575


Yes, but you've gotta get a powered sub that accepts speaker level inputs. Lots of em still have this feature.


Here's a good example and a real bargain at $99. For that price get two!

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-628


There are lots of others depending on your budget.

Still won't work!!!! That ss360 "reciever" is only designed for those speakers not running through a powered subwoofer.

t-bone123 save some money and buy a real reciever and speaker set
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,124 Posts
The HTSS360 sub *is* powered, by the main unit. So why does someone want to replace it with *another* powered sub? For that matter, why not replace the other powered speakers, like the center one? All the speakers are powered. A "power sub" just has the amp in the box with the speaker; this unit has the amp in the main box and not in the speaker box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know the sub is *powered* by the reciever but is still known as a passive sub not powered. I am very happy with my fake reciever and had what I thought was a simple question but all I seem to be getting is opinions and facts that I already know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,995 Posts
Unfortunaltely some of the info you're getting is incorrect. You can use a powered or active sub with speaker level inputs as i stated earlier. You'll use the 360's receiver as the signal for the sub using the speaker leads to the subs amp. Simple. Since the earliest days of subwoofers which originated for stereo operation, the sub amp was fed with speaker level signal which was passed on to the main left and right through the sub amp. These units also include an active crossover or LP filter WHICH if properly combined with the crossover in the 360 can produce a steeper slope as well resulting in a smoother integration to the main speakers and improved in-room response. No opinions....just facts. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/18188136


Unfortunaltely some of the info you're getting is incorrect. You can use a powered or active sub with speaker level inputs as i stated earlier. You'll use the 360's receiver as the signal for the sub using the speaker leads to the subs amp. Simple. Since the earliest days of subwoofers which originated for stereo operation, the sub amp was fed with speaker level signal which was passed on to the main left and right through the sub amp. These units also include an active crossover or LP filter WHICH if properly combined with the crossover in the 360 can produce a steeper slope as well resulting in a smoother integration to the main speakers and improved in-room response. No opinions....just facts. Hope this helps.

NOPE!!!! The output levels of the HT-SS360 for the front speakers and rear speakers are only are for the specific frequency range. Meaning the Mid to high level frequencies only are going to center, and left and right front and surround speakers. The Low frequencies are only output to the subwoofer jack.


So that means the front left and right speakers are only getting the mid to high frequencies. As the reciever has an internal cross-over to send all the LFE signals to the subwoofer


Unless the HT-SS360 was designed to use different speakers than these speakers which only accept mid and highs it will not work with a power subwoofer as the sub will not get and LOWs from the front channel


Now that I explained the inter-workings I hope you realize that it will not work

----------------------------------------------------------------------

To those that have an actual reciever which you can set speakers to small or large when you are hooking up a powered subwoofer like this using speaker wire you need to set the speakers to 'large' as that would send the full range of frequencies and then you let the subwoofer do the cross-over.


The HT-SS360 is just like these real recievers set to small speakers with a set cross-over from the reciever to send the mids and high to the front and surrounds but not to the subwoofer output.


Repeating myself again the front speaker outputs of HT-SS360 are only mids and highs. If those speaker outputs sent the low frequencies than you could use a power subwoofer with speaker wire but that "reciever" doesn't send low signals to front and surround speakers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,454 Posts
the attached file from the SS360 manual shows a simple speaker level output for the system "passive subwoofer". I fail to see why that signal can not be sent to a "powered subwoofer" with speaker level inputs. If the internal cross-over is working correctly, then yes, the mid & highs go to the fronts and surrounds and the low frequencies go to the subwoofer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/18189343


the attached file from the SS360 manual shows a simple speaker level output for the system "passive subwoofer". I fail to see why that signal can not be sent to a "powered subwoofer" with speaker level inputs. If the internal cross-over is working correctly, then yes, the mid & highs go to the fronts and surrounds and the low frequencies go to the subwoofer.

When you are using front speaker connection to go to the subwoofer to let the sub run the cross over that is fine when the front speakers are


Powered subwoofer's have two types of inputs front left and right speakers or a LFE input. I don't know of any power woofer that accepts a straight speaker wire for just the subwoofer.


Now the output jack for front left and right ONLY transmit the Mid and high frequencies as the "reciever" has an internal cross over specifically set for the speakers it comes with. So if you were going to set it up using speaker wire you would run wire from front left and right port to the subwoofer input and then speaker wire to the small speakers from the sub output.


Here is the kicker. With most real big kid recievers you can turn off the cross over to at least the fron speakers the reciever would be transmiting low mid and high to the sub and then your letting the sub do the work.


I don't think I can explain it any clearer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,454 Posts
the attached file is a description of the "high level inputs" on a Dayton brand subwoofer plate amp. In actual operation, the plate amp's internal cross-over splits out the low frequency audio from both L + R inputs, then "combines" the signals to a mono feed for the plate amp. If you feed one side only, say the R input with the two wires from the SS360 subwoofer speaker output, you are still feeding the subwoofers plate amp with signal, so it will work.


If this were a "normal" speaker level connection to a powered subwoofer, with the stereo speakers connected to the x-over output on the subwoofer, you would need both L + R connections. But that is not the scenario here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,197 Posts

Quote:
Powered subwoofer's have two types of inputs front left and right speakers or a LFE input. I don't know of any power woofer that accepts a straight speaker wire for just the subwoofer

I dont get your logic, any sub with speaker levels inputs should work. If you send the speaker level sub out on the Sony receiver to a powered sub, you'll only get the low frequencies. That's fine because that's all you want anyways.


I think the OP should try it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18191480


I don't know of any power woofer that accepts a straight speaker wire for just the subwoofer.

Any with speaker wire binding posts will. You can absolutely hook a receiver that only has speaker wire outputs for the sub to one. I've personally hooked up an Onkyo HT-R340 receiver that came in the HT-S590 HITB (not my system, a friend's.) The system originally had a passive sub and no RCA out on the receiver. But hooking into a powered Bic H-100 sub's high level inputs (the binding posts) made it work just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18192997


I dont get your logic, any sub with speaker levels inputs should work. If you send the speaker level sub out on the Sony receiver to a powered sub, you'll only get the low frequencies. That's fine because that's all you want anyways.


I think the OP should try it.

Sure go ahead and try but I am telling you that the audio output from the reciever to the front left and right speakers, (the connection that would go to the subwoofer input) is only mid to high frequency range!


When setting up your speaker system there you run wires from front left and right to subwoofer and then wires to the front right and left speakers you reciever must have those speakers set to Large which removes the cross-over frequency in the reciever. The HT-SS360 has been set from factory with crossover in the factory only to send Mid to high frequencies to the speakers to protect their shelf life and the reciever sends the low frequencies only to subwoofer output


Now when you are installing a power subwoofer using speaker wire you need both the front left and right speakers and they need to be set-up large so the reciever outputs full range of frequency
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/18193295


Any with speaker wire binding posts will. You can absolutely hook a receiver that only has speaker wire outputs for the sub to one. I've personally hooked up an Onkyo HT-R340 receiver that came in the HT-S590 HITB (not my system, a friend's.) The system originally had a passive sub and no RCA out on the receiver. But hooking into a powered Bic H-100 sub's high level inputs (the binding posts) made it work just fine.

I am talking for the subwoofer input


Sure they will take the audio from the front left and right speakers but not from just a single speaker wire from subwoofer output to input on the subwoofer.


Yes your system worked like that because you have a REAL reciever. With your Onkyo look on the manual page 52, with your reciever you can select large full band or small which has a default crossover. The Sony HT-SS360 does NOT have this option so that means it sends all frequencies below 100hz out to the subwoofer output.


You sure you hooked up your Bic subwoofer correctly? You are suppose to take a wire from both the front left and right to a input in on the subwoofer and then on the output on the subwoofer you run the wire to both right and left from the sub. Additionally make sure you set the front speakers to 'Large' and then let the crossover on the subwoofer do the work

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have hooked my subwoofers up both ways in the past. I usually always ran into a problem using speaker wire method where the reciever had the front speakers set to small and my sub would mis all frequencys below the crossover. Set the front speakers to large and the problem was gone. Again the HT-SS360 does not have this option
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18193788


Sure go ahead and try but I am telling you that the audio output from the reciever to the front left and right speakers, (the connection that would go to the subwoofer input) is only mid to high frequency range!


When setting up your speaker system there you run wires from front left and right to subwoofer and then wires to the front right and left speakers you reciever must have those speakers set to Large which removes the cross-over frequency in the reciever. The HT-SS360 has been set from factory with crossover in the factory only to send Mid to high frequencies to the speakers to protect their shelf life and the reciever sends the low frequencies only to subwoofer output


Now when you are installing a power subwoofer using speaker wire you need both the front left and right speakers and they need to be set-up large so the reciever outputs full range of frequency


I am talking for the subwoofer input


Sure they will take the audio from the front left and right speakers but not from just a single speaker wire from subwoofer output to input on the subwoofer.


Yes your system worked like that because you have a REAL reciever. With your Onkyo look on the manual page 52, with your reciever you can select large full band or small which has a default crossover. The Sony HT-SS360 does NOT have this option so that means it sends all frequencies below 100hz out to the subwoofer output.


You sure you hooked up your Bic subwoofer correctly? You are suppose to take a wire from both the front left and right to a input in on the subwoofer and then on the output on the subwoofer you run the wire to both right and left from the sub. Additionally make sure you set the front speakers to 'Large' and then let the crossover on the subwoofer do the work

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have hooked my subwoofers up both ways in the past. I usually always ran into a problem using speaker wire method where the reciever had the front speakers set to small and my sub would mis all frequencys below the crossover. Set the front speakers to large and the problem was gone. Again the HT-SS360 does not have this option

Normally, if there were no sub pre-out, you’d run the front speaker’s wire to the sub and then out from the sub to the front speakers. As you pointed out, there may be some issue with the way the Sony is set up or how the front speakers are “fixed” to some sort of crossover…whatever that might be. However, in this case the sub will take whatever it’s given and you wouldn’t run the front speakers through the sub. Just connect the Sony's subwoofer line level out to the speaker level input on the sub and adjust the crossover to whatever works best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18193788


You sure you hooked up your Bic subwoofer correctly? You are suppose to take a wire from both the front left and right to a input in on the subwoofer and then on the output on the subwoofer you run the wire to both right and left from the sub.

It's not mine, it's a friend's. Read more better, please.


Yes, I'm aware of hooking it up the way you describe. You can also hook up from the subwoofer output that uses speaker wire. You can hook it into either left or right. It works just fine.


Look at the back end of this Onkyo receiver. It has speaker wire for sub output (ignore the RCA subwoofer one, that's an input.)

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/de/ir_img/14...6a52d58183.jpg


You can hook a wire from the speaker wire sub output to either the left or right speaker wire inputs on a Bic sub or whatever other sub has binding posts. And yes, it does work.



Now I can't speak for the Sony, as it looks like it has proprietary wire hookups, but I wasn't addressing the Sony. I was addressing your point:

Quote:
I don't know of any power woofer that accepts a straight speaker wire for just the subwoofer.

Just because you've never seen it work doesn't mean it can't.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top