Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for the gurus!

I have a Sony 1040Q and it looks like the scan lines are horizontally squished. If you start at the top of the frame you should have scan line, black, scan line, black, etc. down to the bottom of the frame. On mine it looks more like scan line, ultra thin black, scan line, fat black, scan line, ultra thin black, etc.

Is there some way to more evenly space the scan lines?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Yes, its called the linearity control.

The adjuster that has the two lines at the bottom controls that. Theres one for all the colours marked White.

Then there are ones for red and green. Do the white one and adjust the cross hatch test pattern till the squares are the same height/size at the top and bottom of the picture.

Then it will be right

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
seems your vertical hold is misadjusted so the two fields have not the same vertical position.

Thats a problem of interlacing.

Don't know the 1040, but is there a vertcal hold adjustment???

Roland

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
There are rear user adjuster pots for that, But usually it either locks up and sync's or not.

There isnt a point where the vertical sync can do what you say Roland. Not that I have seen anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, definitely an interlacing issue and there is a vertical hold knob which simply "rolls" the picture as a whole frame. I want to find some way to adjust the scan lines of the first field relative to the scan lines of the second field.

@Graham: I think you are describing convergence of the 3 tubes. Yes?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I was talking about its geometry !!!

Take a picture and post it here.

Is it on all colours or just one?

After rereading your post, are you saying that the lines at the top of the pic are not equally spaced ?? Or is it between the top of the pic and the bottom of the pic?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
try turning the hold knob very slowly.

There may be a point where the pic is ok. (it works on NECs)

The effect you see is called pairing.

I have the 1031 manual, maybe I will find something, lets see...

Roland

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Graham: Oh..geometry. No this is not a geometry issue that can be adjusted with the standard tweaker pots. This is evident on all tubes, all the time, regardless of geometry or video signal source. This is going to be a toughie since I am trying to change the vertical position of the scanning lines in either field 1 or field 2. I will most definitely try to get a picture of the problem.

@Roland: That's the correct description for the problem - Thank you!. I checked the web and found a simple/better explanation compared to mine. http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/kell.htm "Extended Kell Factor, then point #3" I tried what you suggested with the knob but no change in the spacing.

I'm guessing that fixing 'scan line pairing' would require adjusting the scanning beam for one of the fields by vertically shifting it up or down. There isn't a readily evident knob/pot for it that I have found so far but I will keep looking. And I am not shy of soldering or doing modifications if the solution requires!

Cheers

·
Registered
354 Posts
Does it look that way all the way down the screen? Or does it get better as you move towards the bottom?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Gee, I have never seen anything like this before. Interesting !!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem is uniform from top to bottom, left to right. It's as though horizontal line #1 is too close to parallel line #2, a big gap, then lines #3 and 4 are too close, a big gap and so on down to the bottom of the screen. Gives a horizontally striped picture.

I appreciate the ideas proposed. Please don't stop!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
If I only had schematics of the 10xx series, I could look if I find the source of the problem...

Roland

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.