AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Sammy HD931 DVD player, running a DVI output to my DLP (HLN507W).

In my DVD collection, I have a number of non-anamorphic DVDs and a number if full-screen DVDs.

I've tried everything I could to make these play properly (i.e. not stretched) through the DVI output, which is one of the reasons I picked this combo. I'd be totally happy with the black bars, but I can't seem to accomplish this.

In the DVI mode, I only have 3 choices: Wide (TV), Wide (PC) and Normal (with 480p output). Normal is not stretched, but uses only 50% of the screen real-estate.

I've tried many combinations of modes between the DVD player and the TV, with no success. I've also perused through these forums but didn't see an answer to this problem.

Has anyone else had success with this combo?

Thanks,

Jeffrey

·
Registered
370 Posts
Your only option is to switch to the component or S-Video output. I would also turn off the progressive out put as well and let the DLP perform the de-interlacing as the DCDi processing of the 931 is only on the DVI output.

This is one of the reasons I didn't buy this player.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that is a bummer.

I unfortunately wasn't able to find any place that carried the Bravo and am somewhat nervous about ordering it online. I guess I could check this out. I'm definitely not thrilled about the quality of the component output on the HD931.

Can anyone confirm that the Bravo D1 can correctly output non-anamorphic and full-screen DVDs through the DVI port to a Sammy DLP without a stretched image?

I guess another question (long shot) are there any players with DVI output that support x/y scaling? (Besides a PC)

Jeffrey

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
The Bravo is available directly from the manufacturer ONLY.

(Or thru AVS as part of their special, of course. See sticky thread above.)

I don't have a DLP, but I can state that the player handles 4:3 discs

properly, without forcing the stretch like the Sammy 931.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.