AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5040 looks better than SD cable when shows are recorded at high picture quality. But buffering, or watching 'live' tv on the RTV is only as good as the SD cable feed, maybe worse. So, is there any way to increase the quality of the buffer/live viewing?

Thanks,

E. J.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well hmmm... Then I have no idea why recorded signals look better than buffered signals. Anyway, thanks for the help.

E. J.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The quality is highly dependent on source. I find that if I am watching analog cable (especially NBC), the quality is terrible (whether buffered or recorded high), while if I am watching some of the decent digital channels (e.g. HBO, Showtime, etc.) it looks great. So is it possible that you are comparing live/buffered analog to recorded digital?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Make sure you're not watching programs live that are being recorded at a lower quality.

'Live' is always at high quality, unless the program you're watching 'live' is also being recorded at the same time in medium or standard. In those cases, you'll see it at the recording quality.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
EJ.. consider your first sentence again... How can something the RTV records actually be BETTER than the original?

If you really seem to be experiencing this, then I would go back and check all of your physical connections because something is not right.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
The quality is highly dependent on source. I find that if I am watching analog cable (especially NBC), the quality is terrible (whether buffered or recorded high), while if I am watching some of the decent digital channels (e.g. HBO, Showtime, etc.) it looks great. So is it possible that you are comparing live/buffered analog to recorded digital?
NBC has looked terrible here in Austin the last few weeks. None of my "local" channels look anywhere near as good as the true cable channels (espn, cnn, etc) but NBC especially has looked bad (mainly looking at their prime-time shows & football over the weekend).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.