AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a painter coming in, in a few weeks, i would ask him myself but hes on vacation.

Anyway my wall unit is black, and he is coming to repaint it. I noticed my screen which is motorized, and hangs down freely, has a screen boarder that is not very deep black, its black, but not as black as my wall unit.

So i have a question.

Would even be possible for him to repaint a screen boarder while its hanging already? And/or would this best difficult and time consuming?

Any diy experts have any input on if this is just a bad idea ?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
it can be done... and spraying is the only real professional option to take.

is your screen glass beaded?

if is... you'll have a greater risk of the paint bleeding under the masked tape.

and secondly, you run the risk of the tape peeling off the glass beads from the viewing area that you've masked off.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is glass beaded.

Definately some things to worry about.

Actually i decided i cannot tell the difference in black deepness. I mean with the lights off, i have a very dark room, and i cant tell the difference between levels of black. I guess any black is going to look the same in a dark room.

I am however getting him to put up my other screen, and paint black boarders on the bottem for 2:35 movies as masking, i assume he will use spray. Is there any other way to protect the non pinted area other then taping?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
it's pretty hard to get a clean edged finish without some kind of tape...

...you can minimize any damage by using the most narrow painters tape available to you...as it does a better job of 'releasing' itself.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/16939614

I am however getting him to put up my other screen, and paint black boarders on the bottem for 2:35 movies as masking, i assume he will use spray. Is there any other way to protect the non painted area other then taping?

Not really. The slightly textured surface caused by the beads has deeper crevasses between high points than usual, and that is what will cause "paint crawl"

But here's as good a way to prevent such a disaster as you can hope to find.

Take Blue tape and create a "inside" perimeter of the leading edge of the desired Black area. Using a "Refrigerated" Black Wax Crayon sharpened to a medium point, and make a single line along (...and on top...) the edge of the material/Tape boundary. This will effectively seal the edge...leastwise far better than tape alone.

Spray paint a very light coating of your Black. Let it dry absolutely dry. Do the same again. Let dry even longer. Now apply a standard coating. That should be all you need. As soon as that last coat has lost it's tackiness...remove the tape.....carefully.

Your welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.