AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm trying to conceptualize how I could pull this off.

I've got a full Atmos setup with a Denon X4300, and a decent turntable that I'll sometimes throw on records with.

My buddy has offered me an old school receiver from the 70s and I thought it might be fun to have a retro setup with that and the turntable.

Is there any way to use the same fronts as I'm currently using with it? I.e. if I separate the binding posts on my speakers could I alternate sources? Or is this a good way to ruin my good receiver?

Will I need a second dedicated pair of speakers?

Thanks!

·
The Village Idiot
9,579 Posts
There is no way to integrate another receiver into the mix unless it has direct amplifier input jacks - not uncommon but more rare than not. And that vintage receiver would be your full time power amp. Might not be a bad idea. Or you could simply switch speaker leads when you want to make a change. You'd need to make sure not to have the wires from the receiver not in use touching each other just in case it gets powered up by accident.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If you want to do that, your best bet is to switch the speaker wires from one to the other. If you hook up the output of both amplifiers to the same connectors, you are likely to destroy both amplifiers (though exactly what will happen would depend on the exact circuitry, what protection circuitry they have, etc., but you would be effectively hooking up the output of one amplifier to another, which is a no-no that may result in fire and smoke). Probably, it would be easiest to have two sets of speaker wires, leaving one set on each receiver, and you change which is connected to the speakers when you want to change what you are using. You will want to shut off the equipment before you connect or disconnect the speaker wires.

If you have two pair of binding posts on the backs of your speakers, and remove the jumpers between them, and then hooked up one receiver to each set of binding posts, typically, what you would be doing is driving the woofer with one of the receivers, and the tweeter with the other (if they are three-way or four-way speakers, typically, the midrange will be grouped with the tweeter, though it may be wired differently). In which case, playing either receiver will mean listening to only the part of the sound that that part of the speaker can reproduce. So that is not a good idea either, though at least it should not damage anything.

Or you could use a line level output of one receiver to a line level input of the other, though in that case, you would be using the same amplifier for driving the speakers in all cases, which is likely pointless (though it depends somewhat on the particular equipment involved). It also could make balancing the system problematic, as, for example, if one used a line level output on the surround receiver to a line level input on the vintage receiver (like an auxiliary or tape input), the volume control on the vintage receiver would change the volume on the main speakers and consequently alter the speaker balance between them and the other channels when listening to surround sound.

Frankly, I would not bother with such a thing. However, if you want another system in another room, then getting another pair of speakers and putting the other receiver in the other room is a fine idea. I currently have 4 systems hooked up, in 4 different rooms. Sure, that is more than I need, but I have the room and the equipment, so why not?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frankly, I would not bother with such a thing. However, if you want another system in another room, then getting another pair of speakers and putting the other receiver in the other room is a fine idea. I currently have 4 systems hooked up, in 4 different rooms. Sure, that is more than I need, but I have the room and the equipment, so why not?
It sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth to try to finagle it as such. I think what I'll do is try to find a pair of vintage speakers to hook up beside my main fronts to use exclusively with the vintage amp - I might as well do an all vintage setup, and it avoids problems.

Thanks for your (and others) advice!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts