AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have read through quite a few threads here to figure it out, but havent found an answer yet. Here is what I have:

1) Video IPod with my music collection

2) Pioneer PDP4270 Plasma TV

3) Dennon AVR1604 5.1 Receiver with A/AB outputs.

4) JBL SCS135 5.1 Satellite Speakers (5 cubes+1 sub).

I have a 3-level townhouse ,with a basement, main living room on the middle floor and bedrooms at the top. That said, what would be the best solution so that I can play my iPod music in the main living room and the basement at the same time. I plan to put the JBL 5.1 system with the Dennon in the basement (will be buying a HD projector too), so that will be my HT. However, I am looking for way to be able to connect my iPod to the Dennon in the basement and then play its music in the basement via the 5.1 speakers and also in the living room, where I plan to buy some medium-budget speakers (bookshelf speakers for 2 channel stereo, no 5.1 needed). My budget is max 500$s to buy streaming/switching equipment (not the 2 speakers). I looked at using iPod streaming solutions like Linksys (bluetooth) or other FM-based streamers, but dont know if thats the right way to go. Would it be better to use the A output in the Dennon to drive the 5.1 speakers in the basement and use the B output to drive bookshelf speakers in the upstairs living room, assuming i can run audio cables from the basement to the middle floor?

thanks for your patience in reading this post, and for all responses!

Vik

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well, sending a signal out is only half the battle. I assume you will want to control the iPod from these different locations as well and that complicates the issue. It means that it is not as simple as using the A/B switch to send sound to two seperate zones. That would work, but you would have to walk to the iPod dock to change playlists, skip songs, etc. You would also have to walk to the receiver to change volume, turn the zone on/off, etc.

Unfortuately I'm not the right person to ask about this type of system. Heck, I don't even own an iPod!

Good luck in your search and hopefully someone else can post with some good ideas.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Keep it simple until you prove that won't be good enough.

I'd use the A/B outputs on the Denon and just hardwire them. Then, you may want an IR repeater so you can control the volume on the Denon remotely.

(I have a 4802, with adjustable volume in zone 2; don't know the specs on the receiever you have.)

While running wires, I'd run a stereo line-level input between the locations so you can use the iPod in the main level and send the signal down to the Denon if you choose to. That lets you control the iPod from the main level if you choose, though for parties/background music, I've found that just setting up an on-the-go playlist is sufficient. (90% of the benefit for 1% of the effort...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.