1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone asked why MLP was mandatory in HD-DVD players
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm /forum/post/0

MLP and TrueHD are one in the same. So by mandating TrueHD in Dolby Digital, implementors get MLP for free.

Someone asked if the Tosh could play his DVD-A
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm /forum/post/0

Unfortunately not. Yes, the codec is there. But not the rest of the system code to parse the menus and such on the disc. I also understand the royalties for DVD-A are quite high so some folks avoid it for that reason.

Based on the above information I would think our HD-DVD players can play back our DVD-A discs content but they way the discs are authored it will not play them. Has anyone attempted to take the streams from a DVD-A disc and re-author the disc in a way that the tosh would just see it as a hd-dvd audio or a HD-DVD with no video and play it not thinking it is a DVD-A ?

I dont have many HD-DVD's but I would like to remove my old dvd-a player out of my rack as it doesnt even upconvert so its really just taking up space.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik99 /forum/post/0

Someone asked why MLP was mandatory in HD-DVD players

Someone asked if the Tosh could play his DVD-A

Based on the above information I would think our HD-DVD players can play back our DVD-A discs content but they way the discs are authored it will not play them. Has anyone attempted to take the streams from a DVD-A disc and re-author the disc in a way that the tosh would just see it as a hd-dvd audio or a HD-DVD with no video and play it not thinking it is a DVD-A ?

I dont have many HD-DVD's but I would like to remove my old dvd-a player out of my rack as it doesnt even upconvert so its really just taking up space.

That is a very clever suggesstion. I'll be interested to see the outcome of this.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I *THINK* I have the tools to do this. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

With that said, I'm eagerly awaiting a true universal in the HD world-- HD DVD, Blu-ray, DVD-A, and SACD. Unfortunately, I have strong doubts such a beast will ever exist.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.