AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - This might sound odd, but I think this might be the one way I can salvage my lovely NAD T175. Here's the quick story:

My NAD T175 introduces video noise into the S-Video path (mainly the Chroma channel from what I can tell). NAD has admitted this is an issue, but I was just informed today that a fix will not be released - ever
. This noise vanishes if the T175 is bypassed with a simple S-Video Coupler, and all components are on the same A/C circuit.

So, I'm NOT using the T175's 3 Component inputs, and they *should* be of higher quality than the S-Video circuitry in the T175. Could I try to use 2-channels of the Component I/O's to carry the Y and C channels of S-Video? I could make the cables myself (chop off the 4-pin DIN and terminate W/RCA's), but I'm thinking the termination impedence or operational voltages might be different, and I'd hate to chop up 2-4 S-Video cables and waste all of that time if this just won't work.

I realize this would likely render the Analog > HDMI transcoding of S-Video impossible (or very ugly since only 2 of the 3 Component chanels will have data, and unexpected data at that!), but would this at least work for the Component Video Pass-Thru switching?

So - Any ideas? Am I crazy?

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
732 Posts
Try looking on ebay for SVideo to BNC adapters or such, and BNC to RCA (if necessary) adapters. The ones I have are male SVideo to female BNC, the SVideo end plugs in like an SVideo cable and the BNC connectors accept BNC cables.

I use SVideo to BNC (one Chroma, one Luma) adapters to connect SVideo sources to my Extron System 10. Connect Luminance to Luminance (Green on component cable) and Chroma to whichever of the other two (I believe they're connected to the red channel on my Extron but it has a specific dip-switch setting for SVideo sources and thus there's a particular combination to use).

The NAD should end up seeing a 480i "component" video source with goofy color information, the HDMI transcoding might fail entirely but any component pass through should work (but you'd have to re-adapt it to SVideo on the other side).

·
Registered
732 Posts
Maybe he still has some old (S)VHS and LaserDisc equipment due to having media that hasn't / can't be replaced with HD yet and he prefers to connect via SVideo (vs composite)? Or older game consoles that are at best SVideo (Dreamcast without a VGA box, N64, SNES, Genesis, Playstation, etc)?

Plenty of reason to still have SVideo input.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol - Yes I still have older S-Video components including an SD TiVo with about 200 hours of programming saved to it (and it is a DTV TiVo which makes data extraction nearly impossible). I certainly could go out and buy HD Service and get a new TiVo, but I'm still in the process of digitizing all of my old TiVo recordgins, S-VHS tapes, and old Camcorder clips to Digital (real-time MPEG2 capture later transcoded to h264/mkv), and I have at least another year to go on that mammoth task. Therefore, I'd love to use S-Video for my pre-existing components until all of my transcoding/archiving is done. I'm also on a budget unlike some of the people around here that can suggest that I replace all of my old components and forget about the associated content that lives on them

Anyways, I still need to mod my cables as I could not find a 4-pin to RCA adaptor, and I'm not 100% sure I could use the 7-pin DIN to RCA cables by ripping out the un-needed pins. I'm good with a soldering iron and I have the connectors available, so I will just make my own cables when I get the time.

I'm sure this will render any Analog > HDMI transcoding useless on my Pre/Pro, correct? I'm also pondering getting a cheaper $100-$200 S-Video > HDMI (or even S-Video > Component into my Pre/Pro) to allow me to use a single HDMI connection to my TV. I'm not 100% sure if my Pre/Pro has the same issues on Component as it does over S-Video (with regard to HDMI transcoding and added noise and incorrect "setup level" with regard to black levels compared to a true HDMI source), so I'd probably lean towards the S-Video > HDMI so I could be certain the transcoding will work as expected...

Anyways, enough rambling. I'll try the modded cables first and go from there. Money is tight, so a $200 converter is not looking very tempting.

Thanks for all of the valuable input!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Search for 'svideo bnc' (w/o the quotes) on ebay, you'll find a few... there's someone selling them singly and someone else selling 10 as a package.. not cheap, wow. I got a good deal back when I got mine, seems. I don't remember what I spent on them which means it was throwaway priced.

As for converting to component or better, try looking for an older DVDO iscan or something along those lines... some of them could only handle up to 480i input and depending on model couldn't pass through higher, but do a pretty good job of deinterlacing and outputting 480p with switches to toggle widescreen and non widescreen modes.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to squeeze some cash out of my budget, and went ahead and upgraded my NAD T175 to the T175HD with a better analog>digital video section, and the S-Video quality from my SD-TiVo now looks much better - so I ended up not needing to do this S-Video>Component workaround. I also scraped together enough cash to upgrade to a HD-DVR with HDMI. Needless to say I'm broke for the rest of the year, but my video is looking much better now
. My Belt has been tightened as tight as it will go

Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman... /forum/post/17148563

I was able to squeeze some cash out of my budget, and went ahead and upgraded my NAD T175 to the T175HD with a better analog>digital video section, and the S-Video quality from my SD-TiVo now looks much better - so I ended up not needing to do this S-Video>Component workaround. I also scraped together enough cash to upgrade to a HD-DVR with HDMI. Needless to say I'm broke for the rest of the year, but my video is looking much better now
. My Belt has been tightened as tight as it will go

Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions

Nice! I think you will be happy with your choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts