AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha RX-V2300 receiver. Is there anyway to use EQ's with this or any receiver for adjustment of the surround system, regarding room acoustics? At least the main speakers, center channel and sub.

Thank you

Darren

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
You would need either seperates, or an AVR that has pre out/power amp in jacks for the channels you want to EQ. Most AVR's lack those. Do not confuse this with the common pre-outs and 5.1 analog ins that many AVR's have; its not the same thing.

Some that do are NAD (current and previous generations, depending on model), and I think the previous generation HK. There may well be others, but as I said, its fairly uncommon.

Both of my AVR's have a full set; old school Marantz SR96, and NAD 762.

Brian

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
It would cost less and give a much better result to sell your receiver and buy one with room correction built in.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
It IS possible to use electronic EQ with a surround system (and required). If IMAX theaters use equalizers, we should too. Audio Control and Rane make nice EQ's for home theater and pro use. Some are multi-channel, some are mono EQ's for use per channel.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies...

If it is possible and (I think) necessary, how do I do the connections? I already own 2 decent 2 channel Eq's. Attached is the back of my AVR:

Darren

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
It does not appear that your AVR has the pre-out/power in jacks that are required.

A few options are:

1. Buy an external power amp, and use the existing AVR as a pre/pro, routing the analog outs for all channels through an EQ.

2. Buy an AVR with built in room correction. That said, there seem to be some mixed reviews on some of these.

3. Buy an AVR with the required jacks (NAD, HK, etc.)

4. Focus on EQ for just the sub which can be done with your existing AVR, by adding a device such as a Behringer BFD to the sub output. Search here for "BFD". Lots of members swear by it. I personally use one, along with an Audio Control Bijou in my HT rig, and another BFD in my 2CH rig.

No easy way out with your existing AVR, unfortunately.

Brian

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for your help Brian. I think I understand how it works now. I will however, connect the analog outs of my HTPC and use one of the EQ's for music playback. One of these days when I can afford it, I was planning on getting an amp or two anyway.

Darren

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more thing. So I know for sure. I get a pre-amp. Connect all of the outputs to Eq's. Then connect the outputs from the Eq's into the power amp.

Is this correct?

Darren

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Darren,

I just thought I would pipe in here to tell you if you want to use an EQ what I did was use my Yamaha RX v995 to handel the souround channels and the sub (my sub has built in crosover settings) and I use the main channel pre outs of the Yamaha to the EQ and then my Carver amp to power the main speakers. This works just great as a magor portion of the sound from movies comes from the main speakers they are the most noticable and needed the most adjustment. I can then program several EQ settings to suite my needs particularly music in 2 ch mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.