Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all....

Is it possible to wake up the PC from a S5 state (completely off) with an USB device, or does this only work with PS/2 devices, by e.g. hitting the space bar or left mouse key?

(I have set the jumpers for the USB ports on my ASUS P4C800e-Dlx to allow a wake up. I also enabled under device / power management to allow the device to bring the PC out of standby. No joy so far…)

From what I understand USB wake-up may only work for S-stages up to S3 (Standby). Is this correct?

TIA!

______

Axel

·
Registered
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel
...From what I understand USB wake-up may only work for S-stages up to S3 (Standby). Is this correct?

TIA!

______

Axel
Yeah, I can't see how a) the USB device would be able to get power while the PC is off & b) how the PC would be able to receive any messages while it's completely turned off. In S3, the PC's RAM is powered to allow it to respond to messages.

I thought I remember reading about a device that connects to your motherboard to allow the PC to be turned on from a completely off state using a remote. I can't remember the name of it at the moment.

Good luck,

jawgee

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jawgee;

Reason I asked is that PS/2 allows to wake up the PC w/o power. So I was hoping that USB would allow the same.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
155 Posts
With the old serial based (not USB) UIRT you can do exactly this. It is basically an IR controlled power switch. The UIRT is always powered even when the PC is off. It stores the IR command in it's non-volatile memory and when the IR command is given, it shorts the power button's leads and turns the PC on/off.

Samsonite

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.