AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo 5.1 receiver that is a few years old. No problems with it until earlier this week when we had a big electrical storm pass through. My wife was at home at the time and said lightning struck very close to the house and she heard a buzzing noise that sounded like some sort of alarm coming from the area of the house where the receiver is located, but by the time I got home from work there was no buzzing so I'm not sure exactly what she heard.

Receiver is connected properly (was working prior to the storm), and was in standby mode when the storm hit.

There is a humming sound coming from the subwoofer when it's on (may be normal lack-of-signal humming), but no actual signal is output to the speakers from any of the sources (dvd, cable box, turntable). There is no "Protect" displayed on the LCD, so I doubt it is stuck in circuit overload protection mode.

All of the equipment was plugged into a good quality surge protectors at the time and none of the other equipment showed any signs of problems.

Anyone have ideas of what may have happened or what I could check/try? It's probably time for an upgrade anyway, but if it's not broken I'd like to get it back up and running... audio through the TV speakers is painful to listen to.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
does the receiver show any signs of life ? lights, slight hum, etc. Have you tried pluging the receiver directly into a wall outlet without the surge surpressor in-line?

If you are adventureous, try opening the case and see if there is an internal fuse somewhere near where the AC line comes into the system. Often there is a fuse of some kind, hopefully it is a typical glass AG fuse and it is "popped".

A lightning "near miss" can induce fairly large currents/voltages in electronic devices through out your house. It is surprising how picky the damage can be....some devices will survive well, others will not.

I had the same problem 10 years ago when lightning hit a large tree 300 yards from my house. Several surge surpressor bars were toast, but they did protect the devices pluged into them. Other surpressors survived fine. There were a few clocks and a table radio that died, but I was lucky and all the major electronics survived. 25 years ago I learned a hard lesson about "induced lightning damage" when an un-grounded roof mounted antenna sent a large surge down the coax and wiped out a complete A/V setup, TV - VCR - receiver - and blown speakers. In that instance, there was not an air-ground lightning strike, only a large amount of lightning in the sky above during a bad storm.

·
Registered
733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/0

I had the same problem 10 years ago when lightning hit a large tree 300 yards from my house. Several surge surpressor bars were toast, but they did protect the devices pluged into them. Other surpressors survived fine. There were a few clocks and a table radio that died, but I was lucky and all the major electronics survived. 25 years ago I learned a hard lesson about "induced lightning damage" when an un-grounded roof mounted antenna sent a large surge down the coax and wiped out a complete A/V setup, TV - VCR - receiver - and blown speakers. In that instance, there was not an air-ground lightning strike, only a large amount of lightning in the sky above during a bad storm.

OUCH!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.