AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Need to do one smaller section in the center of my room which will be a dropped ceiling. I was wondering if there would be any benefit to hanging a grid and making up some actual 2x2 drywall to use instead of buying flimsy lightweight 2x2 acoustical tiles.

Anyone thought of this or try it out? Do you think this would be an improvement in sound isolation over regular acoustic tiles?

(ps - section will be approx 11.5 x 9.5 between 2 bullkheads where the projector will also be mounted)

Thanks all

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmfer /forum/post/15543477

Hi all, Need to do one smaller section in the center of my room which will be a dropped ceiling. I was wondering if there would be any benefit to hanging a grid and making up some actual 2x2 drywall to use instead of buying flimsy lightweight 2x2 acoustical tiles.

Anyone thought of this or try it out? Do you think this would be an improvement in sound isolation over regular acoustic tiles?

(ps - section will be approx 11.5 x 9.5 between 2 bullkheads where the projector will also be mounted)

Thanks all

My entire ceiling in my basement is with 2' x 2' Drywall Tiles on a normal grid. You just need to use 12 Gauge wire and hang it every 4'. I started making my own with some left over drywall I had. I was doing this because my Family Room in the basement (only room finished in the basement when I moved in) was done with Drywall Tiles from a place called "Charleston Acoustics" in Charleston, WV. The more I looked at them, the more I liked them as they had White Vinyl covering on them and I wanted to keep the look consistent. They painted up really well for the Black HT ceiling, and look great in White in the other rooms of the basement. They cost less than the flimsy stuff from the stores. I stuffed my HT ceiling with R-19 and have the drywall tiles. I'm quite impressed with how well it keeps the sound from coming upstairs. Granted, you can't fully contain the low frequencies, but it does really well....better than the flimsy at containing the sound. Not as good as a full drywall ceiling of course, but better than the other ceiling tiles.

Some will tell you not to do this as the weight will cause your tracks to bend over time, yadda yadda. I've had mine up for nearly 5 years now and no problems. In fact, some of our Local Restaurants use the same tiles with the vinyl covering from the place I purchased mine. Again, make sure you use the 12G wire and hang it every 4'. If you have the time to cut them yourself, that's what I'd do. It's cheaper.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the good news Tony. Much appreciated! I was thinking it was a good idea myself, and with you posting your results, it has just made me confirm this is what I will do.

So are you saying that you already had a room done in your basement with "store bought" drywall tiles, and you finished the rest of the bsmt with tiles that you made/cut yourself out of drywall? if so did you use 1/2" or 5/8"?

As for the grid, i suppose I would just be able to any home depot or lowes and pick up some grid right?

One more question, I like the look of the recessed grid, i suppose this would be a hard effect to create by using drywall....unless there was some sort of tool that could trim the drywall evenly so it would hang from the grid....know what i mean?

thanks again

ps - any chance you have pics available?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
sdfmer - the process you describe of using drywall squares in place of typical tiles has been suggested by the experts before for those who absolutely have to have a drop ceiling. However, it has been suggested that you may get some rattling of the grid so you'll have to deal with that "potential" issue.

Concerning the recessed tiles, you could use 2 drywall squares sandwiched together with one being 24x24 and the other being 22-3/4 x 22-2/4 (or whatever size you need) to give you the recessed look. It won't be easy though because you will have to somehow finish the edges of the smaller panel that will be visible. You will have so to make sure the gridwork can support the potential extra weight.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear ya. Probably wont be easy, but maybe after being painted, the rough edges showing MIGHT actually look kinda different....of course I would only go this route if I find getting the edges to be smooth a real pain.

As for the rattling, Im not too worried. I am looking forward to the rare day now where I will be able to "crank" the volume in my soon to be done theater. (ie. Twins due in Feb/march) ....I dont see any real "me" time in the next several months...

however, still excited to complete this room since Im on the home stretch now. Finished half of the priming last night

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmfer /forum/post/15543951

Thanks for the good news Tony. Much appreciated! I was thinking it was a good idea myself, and with you posting your results, it has just made me confirm this is what I will do.

So are you saying that you already had a room done in your basement with "store bought" drywall tiles, and you finished the rest of the bsmt with tiles that you made/cut yourself out of drywall? if so did you use 1/2" or 5/8"?

As for the grid, i suppose I would just be able to any home depot or lowes and pick up some grid right?

One more question, I like the look of the recessed grid, i suppose this would be a hard effect to create by using drywall....unless there was some sort of tool that could trim the drywall evenly so it would hang from the grid....know what i mean?

thanks again

ps - any chance you have pics available?

I'm not sure how you would handle the recessed look because it would be difficult to notch out that drywall to be strong enough to sit in the channel, but I'm not an expert at that.

To answer your question, I ended up purchasing the drywall tiles. I made a bunch myself, and because I wasn't very patient, I went and bought them to match the ones in my Family Room that was finished before I moved in. The only difference in mine compared to home made is that mine has a textured Vinyl side that gives a nice effect. They are 1/2".

I'll have to take some pictures to post, but may not have time until Friday.

Regarding the rattling, you get much less rattle in the railing with Drywall tiles than normal flimsy tiles due to the weight. The weight of the drywall tiles themselves will put enough pressure on the rails to help with rattling. I'm not saying you won't have any, but I have less than in rooms I've been in with flimsy tiles. I seem to get more rattle from the recessed lights than any place in the ceiling tiles.

EDIT: I found an old picture. This is from the ceiling in my family room that was built when I moved in, but I used the same method throughout the rest of the basement and in the Home Theater Room. I'll take some better pictures in a few days.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info/pic. Looks good.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had thought about doing this myself in our theater and using strips of wood in-between to hold up the 2'x2' drywall squares. I am still working on a plan.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had thought about doing this myself in our theater and using strips of wood in-between to hold up the 2'x2' drywall squares. I am still working on a plan.
Did you ever go through with the wood trim idea? I am planning something very similar, and would love to see a photo if you have one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts