AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Few Years ago A Best buy tech said "our bulb would last longer" on Low Power mode instead of Fast Power Mode, True or False?

Just put in a Replacement bulb from Local Autorized Mitsubshi repair center

Model is WS-65731

Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
675 Posts
Generally speaking, yes the lower blub setting does increase the blub life. First you need to find out about your power mode. If it is listed as Low Power and Fast Power ON then that setting has nothing to due with the blub, it controls how much power is used in standby and how long it takes to turn the TV ON. If the setting is Lamp BRIGHT and STANDARD then yes the Standard setting is the lower blub setting (also less bright).

If this is the first blub change and your bought that TV a few years ago, and you use it in the average range of time, you got a good life. That TV is about 4 or 5 years old.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is about our 3rd or 4th Bulb change since getting the TV, first one about a year after getting it, then about another year or two, then this time.

Power Setting Shows Just Low Power or Fast Power on, i can check to see if there is any actual lamp brghtness settings in a few moments, and make sure that is set correctly, as if can extend life of the bulb that will be good thing to do, and make it last longer as well

Old ones were replaced by Best buy Tech, with a Phillips Bulb according to the box, this one was replaced via Local authorized Mitsubhsi Service Center

Picture mode: Natural, Previously was on Brlliant

Power Mode: Fast Power On

Will see how this goes, should work well, since if we use the timer function on DVD-Recorder i think we do have to have Fast Power on, unless i'm wrong on that, but thinks i'm not lol

·
Registered
675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerman3 /forum/post/20897172

This is about our 3rd or 4th Bulb change since getting the TV, first one about a year after getting it, then about another year or two, then this time.

Power Setting Shows Just Low Power or Fast Power on, i can check to see if there is any actual lamp brghtness settings in a few moments, and make sure that is set correctly, as if can extend life of the bulb that will be good thing to do, and make it last longer as well

Old ones were replaced by Best buy Tech, with a Phillips Bulb according to the box, this one was replaced via Local authorized Mitsubhsi Service Center

Picture mode: Natural, Previously was on Brlliant

Power Mode: Fast Power On

Will see how this goes, should work well, since if we use the timer function on DVD-Recorder i think we do have to have Fast Power on, unless i'm wrong on that, but thinks i'm not lol

Mitsubishi does not use Phillips lamps (not bulb) so there is a suspect issue there. If you get the lamp from Mitsubishi, you always get a complete new lamp cartridge assembly (they don't sell it any other way). If you get bare lamps without the cartridge you are subject to getting incorrect or lesser quality lamps. You also lose out on any improvements Mitsubishi may have made to the lamp assembly (if they made any).

The picture mode of Natural vs. Bright or Brilliant makes no difference to the lamp because these modes do not change the lamp brightness, only the picture calibrations. If your TV has a lamp brightness adjustment, it is found in the ENERGY menu and it is called Lamp Mode or something like that. There would be only two options Standard and Bright. Not all models have this adjustment so you would need to check for yourself. My TV has the option.

As for using Fast Power On because you have a DVR, well I do not know how that would make a difference. The Fast Power On and Low Power modes adjust the amount of power the TV, not the DVR, uses in standby (powered OFF). If you schedule your recordings using the guide in the DVR then the TV has nothing to do with the power used by the DVR or any control of recordings. I would assume your DVR AC power cord is plugged directly into the AC outlet or outlet strip and your TV's AC power cord is likewise plugged directly into the AC outlet. DO NOT plug the TV's AC cord into the switched AC outlet in the back of the DVR - if you turn off the DVR, this removes the AC power to the TV without allowing the TV to use the proper lamp cool down procedure - this could shorten the life of the lamp. The TV runs fans for a while after you power off the TV to control the lamp cool down if you interfere with that you can shorten the lamp life.

I use Fast Power On because I find the amount of time to turn on from Low Power Mode annoying. However I heard the TV uses about 25 watts of power in standby when set to Fast Power On Mode and something like 5 watts of power in standby when set to Low Power mode so it is your choice as to how green you want to be.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Power Modes, Only Low Power or Fast Power

Lamp mode no info on

Just Picture, Brillant, Bright or Natural

Don't see any Lamp Mode settings at all for the item

Plugged into Surge Protector

and DVR is into the same one

So i guess this is gonna work, and the lamp cartridge looked alot higher quality than old one that was replaced

I normally watch myself the CRT WS-55315 Mitsubshi set, but family does was the 65 quite often

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well with the CRT life not a problem since 2005,

The 65 inch

Bulb Replacement December 2007, we got the set in December 2006

Bulb Replacement July 2008

and One in 2009

and This one in 2011--by Local Mitsubshi Service center, and installed myself this time--hoping for longer life this time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.