AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got a ported SDX15 that I built about a year ago. You can see it here .

I've been happy with it but I'm thinking about getting a second SDX and building two sealed boxes for them, probably a 22" cube external, so ~4.5 cu.ft per sub.

The main thing I'm trying to figure out first is what to power them with. I should mention a couple things right away. I don't have a set budget but money is limited for this so I'd like to stay as cheap as possible while still getting decent power to make this worthwhile. Also I'm in Canada so that can limit where I can buy from (at least in terms of value, border fees and whatnot).

I've got an ED LT1300 that I'm using right now. I could get a second LT1300, although the price on them went up quite a bit since I bought mine last year so I'm not sure I want to go that route. I could get an EP2500 and power both subs with it but I don't think that's really enough power for two sealed SDX15s and I don't know that I can afford two EP2500s right now. Another idea I was wondering about, would it work to power one sub with my LT1300 and the other with an EP2500? Or would that have issues with the different sensitivities between the two amps?

Any other ideas for powering two sealed SDX15s? Any other affordable amps I'm not aware of? Let me know if you have any ideas or opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
If you're building two, put them in different cabinets so you can play with placement. Then you can power one with an EP2500 and one with an LT1300, without worrying about it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 /forum/post/17028833

If you're building two, put them in different cabinets so you can play with placement. Then you can power one with an EP2500 and one with an LT1300, without worrying about it.

Yes, the plan is to put them each in there own box, maybe I didn't make that clear in my original post.

So, you figure I shouldn't have any problems using the two different amps in the same system?

I should mention I have an ED EQ2 that I would like to continue to use with the new subs if I build them. I seem to remember reading something about the EQ2 not working well with the ep2500. Something about signal out of the eq2 was too low for the pro amp. Does anyone know if these will work together or not?

·
Registered
5,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrandt /forum/post/17029097

So, you figure I shouldn't have any problems using the two different amps in the same system?

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrandt /forum/post/17029097

I should mention I have an ED EQ2 that I would like to continue to use with the new subs if I build them. I seem to remember reading something about the EQ2 not working well with the ep2500. Something about signal out of the eq2 was too low for the pro amp. Does anyone know if these will work together or not?

That's probably best to use on just one sub.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Anywhere from 3.5 to 4.5 cu ft per SDX is a good size for them. You should be fine which ever way you go with the amps. Usually I'm a fan of the pro amp route due to the flexibility of it down the line , but since you already have one LT1300, perhaps getting another isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'd love to hear updates about your build. I actually own an SDX15, and it's rotting in my kitchen next to an Oaudio BASH 500w amp.

I was planning on doing a 6.5cuft sealed box, and I'm waiting for it to be completed.

(I'm also in Canada
)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts