AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I thought I would see what you guys though.

I recieved a copy of ultra edit from IDM software and it came in a cd jewel I had never seen before. Luckily it had the url for the jewel on it.

ejector(dot)de is sort of the url....

It rides on rails so the data storage area of the cd isn't touched by the jewel at all.

·
Registered
28,070 Posts
No place to store the original case art.

I've taken to using a product called Disc Sox . No fancy ejection mechanism, but you can store 2 discs plus the entire original case art in one "sock", and squeeze 3-4 movies into the space of one single-width keepcase.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The Disc Sox really looks neat, a very good idea. I am having a space problem with now over 300 dvds, its just that to buy enough disc sox for these and future dvds is hundreds of bucks. If i had to buy furniture to store my dvds, the Disc Sox would be worth it, but right now, i have racks to handle what i have at the moment. Not sure what to do, probably would spend the money on the Disc Sox, but the timing is bad. Soon i will be buying a tv, dvd recorder, stand, ups, etc. Why cant i hit the lotto already???? :(

·
Registered
28,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman
The Disc Sox really looks neat, a very good idea. I am having a space problem with now over 300 dvds, its just that to buy enough disc sox for these and future dvds is hundreds of bucks.
Yeah, I agree. It adds up fast if you have a large collection. I've been buying my "sox" in small batches and slowly converting my collection.

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,677 Posts
I tried the Disc Sox. They save you massive tons of space. But they have 2 problems that prevent me from using them: (1) you can't store them like books and browse their titles from the side (you have to keep them in a tray or case and browse them from the front like cards in an old card catalog); and (2) you have to toss out the case that came with your CD or DVD and buy the Disc Sox, which increases your overall cost a lot.

I actually wish that DVDs came in CD cases. They take up less space (both height and width) and still allow you to see the titles from the side so they are easy to browse. I'd like to kick the person who came up with the space-wasting DVD case.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,946 Posts
I thought the same thing... what a terrible picture... they should've had the "hand model" properly hold the disk by the edges.

I found several mfrs of these holders... they have similar animated GIFs and they also have the hands putting their grubby little fingers on the media surface

http://www.variopac.de/english/Animation_VarioPac.gif

·
Registered
209 Posts
after fighting for years with all my cases i finally broke down, bought a few cd notebooks, slid all my movies into them and threw away all the cases (with the exception of specialty cases like band of brothers)......yes friends you heard me correctly i THREW the cases away :eek:

I came to the conclusion that with DVD profiler I ALREADY had the artwork (for whatever thats worth) and I was able to finally get rid of all the clutter.

This obsession with keeping all the cases is just plain silly to me now......I actually get a lot of kicks out of watching friends see me bring home a new move, rip it open and simply throw away all the junk......the look on their face is priceless :D , but they soon realize why i do it when they see me pull down a notebook and slide the disc in...... :cool:

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
That's fine, until you decide to sell off some of your DVDs on eBay, Half.com or wherever. I've been converting my single & double keepcases to ThinPak style cases, which has already saved me over 50% shelf space. Check this HTF thread out. I've found 7mm thick single & double DVD cases on eBay for as little as 22 cents/case w/shipping factored in.

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,677 Posts
grigsby,

I thought about switching to notebooks for storage, but the one thing that prevents me from doing it is that I like being able to skim the spines of my collection to see what I or my friends feel like watching on a given night. It seems like a real pain to have to open all the notebooks to remember what you have or to maintain a separate list of movies to skim through. Have you had any issues with that?

And I love the idea of thinpak style cases, but cutting all of the originals down seems like a pain and I assume many of them don't turn out great so you can read the spines.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnilsson
grigsby,

I thought about switching to notebooks for storage, but the one thing that prevents me from doing it is that I like being able to skim the spines of my collection to see what I or my friends feel like watching on a given night. It seems like a real pain to have to open all the notebooks to remember what you have or to maintain a separate list of movies to skim through. Have you had any issues with that?

And I love the idea of thinpak style cases, but cutting all of the originals down seems like a pain and I assume many of them don't turn out great so you can read the spines.
I suppose a little follow up is in order to my earlier post. When I purchase a DVD I do it only when I totally sure I want it. I have never had reason to sell any movie from my collection. Have I ever bought a dud? You bet, but I keep it. You never know when a friend will be over and that one you think is a dud happens to be his favorite movie. Part of the reason I have all this stuff is because I enjoy sharing a movies with friends and family. So no worries on that front.

Then to address the issue of what do I actually own? Well that is where DVD profiler comes in. With its many search functions I can locate and find anything in my collection. Hmmm I'm in the mood for a comedy.....boom profiler tells me what I have available and since I put a note in there for which notebook the disc is in the process of finding the disc is no big deal.

Basically I could have thousands of DVDs in my HT and you wouldnt know they were there because with my system the fit all nice and neat in my cabinets. :cool:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've had some of those since mid last year, came with some CDRs. They work fantasticly. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.