AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently extremely happy with my current setup. But the HT bug is slightly biting me and I'm thinking of switching from my WS65819 CRAIGR'd TV with Lumagen processor to a front proj. with a new Lumagen Radiance processor.

Besides the fact that the screen will be much larger than my 65" what other advantages will I have? I was never a fan of the fixed pixel sets and have always loved the depth and natural image outputted via a CRT based TV. I'd love to hear your opinions and feedback.

I was possibly looking at the JVC RS-20. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
If you use the advanced search engine and the title search only filter (below the search word window) with "CRT" as your search word....you'll find a number of past thread comparisons. This would be a good place to start, until you get some feedback specific to your comparison request.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I switched from a Toshiba 65" CRT RPTV to a Pioneer FPJ1 (same as JVC RS2). I use a Lumagen VisionHDP on the FPJ1. The difference is incredibly great. I would never buy a "display" again for movies, unless I could not control the room's lighting.

The RS20 will give you the ability to fine tune gamma (as does the radiance I suppose) to get the image depth. There will be nothing lacking in image depth. The only downside I can see is you won't get true fade to black -and IMO, you won't care after you see the image the projector can do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki /forum/post/16982479

The RS20 will give you an amazing large picture although I am not a big fan of using these projectors as TVs

Any particular reason as to why you don't recommend them for SD and or HD TV viewing?

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
I'm not sure if this is why, but I think TVs and projectors are just used differently, or should be. Projectors are great for just about anything that you want to sit down and really watch, ie where the viewing is the activity you're doing.

On the other hand lots of times it seems people just like to have a TV on in the background while they're doing other things. Given that projectors only work their best in darkened environments and (until we get LEDs) take time to warm up, etc, they just aren't that well suited to being a used in the "background".

·
Banned
6,051 Posts

Quote:
Any particular reason as to why you don't recommend them for SD and or HD TV viewing?

Has nothing to do with SD or HDTV. HDTV will look incredible on the RS20 and SD will be SD. Like Stranger89 said, we use the TV differently. I mean, I dont turn off my TV when I go to the kitchen to eat something and pause my Tivo and I dont mind burning TV hours on watching Gilligan Island and of course I can read a book, have the lights on and watch TV at the same time. Sometimes I take a nap with the TV on. I wouldn't do any of those things with a front projector although I know plenty of people who only use the FP for TV viewing.

·
Banned
365 Posts
I'd personally wait until a real total lights out fade to black LED projector comes out. Lamps dim too quickly. It's not about replacing lamps which is the problem, it's the fact every second your lamp is slightly getting dimmer, first quickly and then leveling off. You'll also feel very disappointed with your black level compared to your current CRT RPTV. I could never handle having black be bright enough to walk around your room. With my projector I have to wait until a bright scene happens and stop walking when a fade to black happens.

I'm going to wait until a 4k (4096x2160) projector with LED and either 2-panel DLP or 4-panel LCOS. Until then, I'm perfectly happy with my minty tube CRT.

·
Banned
365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrish /forum/post/16997739

Are the black levels really that bad?

For me yes, for lots of others no. I don't know your main reason for getting a CRT RPTV, but if it was for its black levels, you'll probably be as picky as me. I was really sad until I found out about CRT projectors several years ago. I too was like you and wanted a digital projector and being reluctant about how piss poor the black levels were compared to my CRT direct view. I then found out about CRT front projectors. The first time I saw one I was in heaven. I'd suggest checking out all your options. I have to warn you a CRT projector is VERY VERY and did I mention VERY hard to set up? But even so, for me it's well worth it. I'd suggest asking on the CRT forum about what a G70 or 8500 looks like, there are plenty on that forum who will audition one for you. What would it hurt? Even a projector like mine, a Dwin HD 700 is nice too, but I'd not go any lower than one rated as mine. Good luck!

Ask the same you have here, here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16

I'm personally very disappointed with even the JVC top of the line LCOS projectors with their "super duper high contrast," which IMHO is not one bit close to CRT black level. But, a digital will beat a my CRT or any CRT pj in every way but on/off contrast and black level. Just depends on what's important to you, everything else with gray blacks (digital) or inky blacks with average sharpness, ANSI CR, etc etc (CRT FP).

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
black levels are great on FP. Its unrealistic not to buy FP because the blacks may or may not be as good as the CRT you have.. I have a 50 Pioneer Elite Kuro and while the blacks are fantastic, I would rather watch a movie on my 120 inch wide 2.35 screen. Even we if agree that the CRT would have better blacks, you cant compare it to a large screen that is bright, sharp and still has great blacks. Of course the CRT will look better with the lights on, but turn of the lights, bring in the pop corn and have yourself an amazing time with a good movie

AS for waiting for perfection, it never comes

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Going from a RP CRT to a digital FP is kinda apples to oranges. From a videophile's perspective, I wouldn't do it. But from a HT enthusiast, of course I would. I love the pic my 65" Hitachi puts out, and I doubt a digital could best it for me. But if I was doing a HT and I could get a digital, I would. Now when I do put my HT together, the first thing I'll be looking at are CRT projectors, but a digital is possible. When going to a FP set up, the difference in screen size and immersion is so great that I doubt it will matter that the black levels, depth of field, or colors aren't as good.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
I think the lesson from the last few posts is you've really got to go see a good demo of a digital FP, ideally the or one of the ones you're considering. Everyone seems to have a different threshold for annoyance by non-zero black levels.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrish /forum/post/16997739

Are the black levels really that bad?

No.

You need to go watch one in a darkened room, properly set up, then judge for yourself.

But no, the RS20 can hold a blackout for a few seconds, that's pretty damn amazing. That is, the screen goes black, and you can't see the screen at all, until a couple seconds later.

Can your CRT do that? Yes. It can do that for maybe an extra second or two or three, if setup properly.

Is this a "OMG my blacks are now GRAY!"? No. It will be more like: wow, this is amazing how much better ANSI CR is, resolution is, brightness is, screen size, color accuracy (if calibrated, which assuming the lumagen it will be, which isn't even necessary with the RS20 anyway given the onboard CMS), etc etc etc, oh and yeah, I guess my black are not quite as good, but this is better in so many other ways it's still a way positive move.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.