AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently upgraded my Polk Audio PSW505 subwoofer to a SVS PB12-NSD but haven't got it hooked up yet (doing it tomorrow)

Currently my set-up is as follows:

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805

Front: Polk Audio RTi8

Center: Polk Audio CSi5

Surround L/R: Polk Audio Monitor 40

Surround Back L/R: Polk Audio FXi A6 Bipole/Dipole

Subwoofer: SVS PB-12 NSD

I have been thinking about upgrading my receiver for a while now, but can't ever seem to find anything that matches the 805's build quality. Any recommendations there would be great.

As for the speakers. I know Polk Audio speakers have a bad wrap on this site, but I've thought for the price I paid for these that they have been alright. That being said, I have never felt that the "surround sound" experience was very good. Additionally, I don't believe these speakers give a very large depth of sound when watching movies. I rarely use this system for music.

I am wondering if there are any worthwhile upgrades that i could do to the speakers for less than 1-2k that would benefit the areas above?

Also, my buddy is offering me $50 for the PSW505, does that sound like a fair price? I know they sell on ebay for around 200 new now, but I paid much more when I purchased it new way back when.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would upgrading the front L/R to Polk Audio RTi A9's with the extra woofers/mids and moving the RTi8 to the Surround L/R help?

Also can a receiver like the 805 drive speakers like the RTi A9's without an external amp? Any speaker recommendations that require an additional external amp, please specify.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24424153

Would upgrading the front L/R to Polk Audio RTi A9's with the extra woofers/mids and moving the RTi8 to the Surround L/R help?

Also can a receiver like the 805 drive speakers like the RTi A9's without an external amp? Any speaker recommendations that require an additional external amp, please specify.
At moderate levels the 805 would drive the A9's fine. Pretty much every one in the Polk thread that owns the A9's say they need an external amp to drive them at higher levels for HT. I would say that 505 is worth a good hundred bucks if it's in nice condition. I sold one for more than that.  I used to own the Onkyo 805 awhile back but wiggled my way to a Denon 4311 which really benefits HT with it's Audyssey XT32 w/ sub EQ HT. Leaps ahead of the version of Audyssey in the 805. It does a far better job with the EQ for your room.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
You are about to make the single best upgrade you can make to your setup going from that PSW505 to the PB12. You might be ready for duals after you see what a single PB12 can do
Don't forget to rerun Audyssey.

Otherwise, I would suggest going out and listening to new speakers. With a 1-2K budget, you might find something you like better for your front mains and center. Even look a little over budget since their might be a better deal online.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425510

External amp needed to run these well for HT?

A good receiver or amp, that can handle 4 ohms is recommended

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425541

A good receiver or amp, that can handle 4 ohms is recommended
Well i've always been told that nothing on the market today can touch the Onkyo 805 in terms of its build/amp quality. Would that work?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425067

You are about to make the single best upgrade you can make to your setup going from that PSW505 to the PB12. You might be ready for duals after you see what a single PB12 can do
Don't forget to rerun Audyssey.

Otherwise, I would suggest going out and listening to new speakers. With a 1-2K budget, you might find something you like better for your front mains and center. Even look a little over budget since their might be a better deal online.
What about Polk Audio LSi25?

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425545

Well i've always been told that nothing on the market today can touch the Onkyo 805 in terms of its build/amp quality. Would that work?

I am not a big Onkyo fan - however, a lot of people like them - and the word is they seem to have

corrected their past design problems - if it is calling you - then go for it.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425581

What about Polk Audio LSi25?
My son has a pair of those. Easier to drive because it has a powered woofer. With a sub you don't really need those. I'd look on the used market and see what's available.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425585

I am not a big Onkyo fan - however, a lot of people like them - and the word is they seem to have

corrected their past design problems - if it is calling you - then go for it.

I already have it, It's a pretty old receiver, from the early 2000's haha. It rates at 135W per channel with 7 channels driven @ 8 ohms.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425595

My son has a pair of those. Easier to drive because it has a powered woofer. With a sub you don't really need those. I'd look on the used market and see what's available.
Ive also heard reports of an audible click when the subwoofers turn off and on between audio streams?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425608

Ive also heard reports of an audible click when the subwoofers turn off and on between audio streams?

He doesn't get any clicks with his. He lives above me in the same house and I hear them a lot. I used to have the LSi15's and they were better with a sub.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425615

He doesn't get any clicks with his. He lives above me in the same house and I hear them a lot. I used to have the LSi15's and they were better with a sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425615

Any experience with Boston Acoustics M350's? Seems to be a popular choice on this forum. Popular and good can oft be the same thing, but can oft just be popular as well.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425600

I already have it, It's a pretty old receiver, from the early 2000's haha. It rates at 135W per channel with 7 channels driven @ 8 ohms.

I did get my years mixed up?

The Onkyo is 4 ohms certified - so I would start with your current receiver

If you decide to go with Boston (that tweeter is nice), then the Onkyo will drive them

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425628

Any experience with Boston Acoustics M350's? Seems to be a popular choice on this forum. Popular and good can oft be the same thing, but can oft just be popular as well.
No experience with them. I used to own the 805 and like zeig said it will drive most speakers to higher than comfortable levels.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:

I see you have the KEF Q900's in one of your setups. How do you feel about those on the current market?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425648

I see you have the KEF Q900's in one of your setups. How do you feel about those on the current market?
I sold them and have some Revel and Maggies currently. I switch up a lot just for the fun of it. I thought they were pretty good. The tweeter was the best part and the rest was average for me. It's really hard to say what another person will like. Some folks love Klipsch and some hate em if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upg...as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte#post_24425600

That Onkyo doesn't do 135 wpc with all channel driven. You'd be lucky if it is putting out 70 wpc with all channels driven. If you are happy with your current speakers, I would upgrade the AVR with something that has XT32 and sub EQ. Or forget about the RTi / RTiA line, and go with the LSi line. In my personal opinion and experience the RTi / RTiA line are too bright for music, but they are excellent for HT.

I went from Polk to Arx, and the sound difference is night and day. Added a PSA-XV15, and it is awesome for both music and movies.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts