AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the Yamaha HTR-5960, which is a nice receiver but lately I have been getting audio drops on all sources. I'm a little fed up with it, so I was thinking of upgrading to a new AVR that has HDMI and the newer sound format support.

I was trying to compare the Yamaha RX-V665 to the Onkyo TX-SR607. I currently have the following components:

DirecTV HR23-700

PS3

XBOX 360

Popcorn Hour

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I would highly recommend a B-Stock Onkyo TX-SR706 from Accessories4less.

The 706 is available for 429 (899 MSRP) and offers THX Certification and Processing, Audyssey MultEQ, and preamp outputs for all channels.

All of this for close to the same price as the other 2 models. The feature especially lacking in the 607 and the Yamaha is preamp outputs. Adding an outboard amplifier can really make a huge difference. Also, Audyssey MultEQ is much more powerful than the 2EQ in the 607.

It appears the 706 is almost sold out at Accessories4less so if interested, I would jump on it. The current 707 is available for 70 Dollars more.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm always hesitant to buy refurbished goods. Also, although I'm sure the MultiEQ is great coming from the AVR that I am I don't think I'd notice a difference not going to it. I'd like to keep the costs to $400-500.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
If you need upscaling and 7.1, the Denon 1910/790 can be had at that price point. Otherwise, the 1610/590 may be all you need. Both these receivers have MultEQ, but you don't have to use it.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 1910 looks nice, and I have heard great things about Denon over the years. What is the major difference between the 1910 and 790?

·
Registered
633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 /forum/post/18241432

I'm always hesitant to buy refurbished goods. Also, although I'm sure the MultiEQ is great coming from the AVR that I am I don't think I'd notice a difference not going to it. I'd like to keep the costs to $400-500.

1) refurb is great! so it broke? it's been back to the mfg, gone through with a fine-tooth comb, and recertified. new gear just rolls of the production line wo/the thorough checks that refurbs get. as long as it carries an as-new warranty, what's to worry?

2) audyssey absolutely kills ypao, imho. i replaced an rx-v2600 with an onkyo multieq-xt pre/pro (5507) and the difference is remarkable.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie1 /forum/post/18244407

1) refurb is great! so it broke? it's been back to the mfg, gone through with a fine-tooth comb, and recertified. new gear just rolls of the production line wo/the thorough checks that refurbs get. as long as it carries an as-new warranty, what's to worry?

2) audyssey absolutely kills ypao, imho. i replaced an rx-v2600 with an onkyo multieq-xt pre/pro (5507) and the difference is remarkable.

I agree, I too have the 5960 and and my main setup with the Audyssey really brings out more detail and does a better job of controling the room responce

1 - 8 of 8 Posts