AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya's all. My first real real post!

Anyway, here's the story. I've just purchased the aussie version of the LG 42LBX, and as a bonus it comes with an LG HTIB by redemption. The HTIB has an amp and dvd player in one, but it plays pretty much every type of dvd/cd, including divx5 and it upscales to 1080p. I currently have an 8 year old phillips dvd and a cheapy tevion for playing divx stuff. So I'd like to use the new one and get rid of my current 2.

But I'd like to keep using my Onkyo amp and speakers (which I built myself and am fond of
) as I assume it will still have the better sound. The problem is that the lg htib has no audio outputs from it! But it does have hdmi out.

So what I'm thinking of trying is to hook the lg htib up to my tv by hdmi, and then using the optical out of the tv to hook up to my onkyo amp (no hdmi on the amp). Would this work, and would the tv send the full surround signal to my amp? I realise I couldn't listen to a cd without the tv turned on, but we really only listen to music dvd's now days so the tv's on anyway.

Anyway, I'm just checking if I'm onthe right track with this thought?

Also, if I have the htib just for playing dvd's, and have no speakers hooked up to it and the volume left down, will it draw much more power than if it was just a dvd player? I'm guessing a little bit more, but would it be a significant amount?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
The optical output on most TV's is only to pass audio (Dolby Digital) from the internal ATSC (HDTV) tuner. Any other input will either be downmixed to stereo or will not work at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So really my only way to do this would be to have an amp that takes hdmi! Bugger. I want the divx and upscaling of the htib's built in dvd player but wanna keep using my amp. I'll just have to give the htib a go, but maybe with my own sub.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts