AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of reading but I havn't found any information onon any 1080p displays. Are any new ones coming out? We're any anounced at CES? What sort of prices will they be?

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
898 Posts
This info is from Rodolfo La Maestro's note to the ilovehdtv tips list:

"Samsung confirmed to me that their first 1080p RPTV will come out in

July 2004 (you read well), and the FPTV version in November 2004. The

way they have demonstrated they manufacture (fast, variety and

frequent models within the year), I would not doubt that such

objective could be accomplished."

That is also confirmed by my email to the contact person listed on the TI DLP press release, who also said a 1080p RPTV would be available this summer.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Where is this 1080p content coming from? Is this only going to be used for upconverted signals? If so, who is doing this upconversion and what is the quality like?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xortam
Where is this 1080p content coming from? Is this only going to be used for upconverted signals? If so, who is doing this upconversion and what is the quality like?
It will come from de-interlacing 1080i.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xortam
There might be a little 1080p WM9 content available over time. Enough to whet some appetites.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"Does anybody know if Sony is coming out with 1080p LCD tv?"

Outside of Sony, no....

I would not expect anything this year, unless it's right around Xmas...

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It will seem to be less because the "fineness" of the grid reduces the apparent screen-door effect even if the line widths of the pixel barriers are the same. This is some kind of trick being played on the eye, but it works. Of course, LCD fill is unlikely to ever be as satisfactory as DLP will and can never be as good as LCOS, which has as close to maximum fill as is currently conceivable.

Mark

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What about the new Toshiba DLP sets, will those be 1080p? I've been waiting and waiting to buy a HDTV and I would love to get one this year. I almost went with a Toshiba CRT HDTV but I ended up waiting.

It would be great if the Toshiba's were 1080p, but I'd be nervous about buying a 1st generation.

James

·
Registered
172 Posts
James, I'm waiting for a reply from Toshiba on this. With the 10 new DLP models they have coming out this year, I'm thinking that one of those is bound to be a replacement for the "old" Cinema Series LCOS, 1080p and higher price included.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
HDMI will predominate. Guaranteed.

All three will have enough bandwidth, but it might be true that many sets don't take a 1080p input directly, especially over component. It can be done, but that doesn't mean it will be done.

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
Will the first displays be 1080p/24, 1080p/30, or 1080p/60? I've heard it said that 1080p/60 isn't part of the broadcast standard, but is essential for 3-D HDTV. Great prognosticators and speculators, will 1080p/60 be broadcast by the year 2020? If not broadcast anywhere will it be available on disc or is 1080i line doubled the best we can hope for?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.