AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm wondering what kinds of modifications most people like to do to Audyssey after the calibration. I know everybody is different... some people like Audyssey as is, and believe that it does a great job, other people like to bump subwoofer levels, center channel levels, add house curves, ect... I'm curious to see what most people have done! In the past, I was always a set Audyssey, turn off Dynamic EQ, and maybe bump the subwoofer up 3 db or so. Anyways, here is a list of possible additions after Audyssey:

• Bump up subwoofer for more bass
  • Bump up center channel for louder movie dialogue
  • Turn on/off Dynamic EQ
  • Use Reference/Flat Audyssey setting
  • Add house curve to subwoofer using Audyssey App
  • Remove midrange compensation using Audyssey App
  • Use additional equalizer (like miniDSP) to subwoofer to either further flatten response OR add house curve

This is certainly not an exhaustive list, so if you do any of these, or if there is anything else you do to Audyssey after calibration, feel free to post it, and the reasoning behind it!

·
Premium Member
12,079 Posts
I run Audyssey and then:
  • set all speakers to "small" and all crossover settings to 80Hz (lately it's 100Hz);
  • bump the levels of the subs by 3-6dB; and
  • turn off DEQ until I've taken post-calibration measurements with my OmniMic.
After that, I'll toggle DEQ on/off depending on the source and/or the content. Everything else stays the same.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
After running the audyssey app and send to the processor i:

Turn off audyssey.
Boost the center 1.5dB.
Decrease surrounds a little.
Boost subs 3dB i think it is now, maybe 4dB.

I boost the center for speech intelligibility because i do have some hearing issues (hereditary, not abuse by loud), i decrease the surround a little for the same reason, makes it easier to hear whats up front +others sit closer to the surrounds so better for them to not have the main speakers drowned out by surround sound.
Subs increased to have some bass, i play low volume to moderate and dont run any other compensation since all audyssey EQ is disabled.

Edit: forgot to mention set all speakers to small with a 60Hz crossover on front and 80Hz surrounds. Dont remember if center is at 60 or 80 atm, both work well as it is a very big center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not to Hijack this thread but, if you always sit in one single spot, should you keep the mic in that spot the whole time you're running Audyssey?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
1) Set all speakers to small
2) Set all speaker crossover to 120Hz
3) Disable MRC
4) Change curve from reference to flat
5) boost each sub by 3-4dB
6) Reduce surround levels by 3-5dB (because I leave DEQ enabled)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Not to Hijack this thread but, if you always sit in one single spot, should you keep the mic in that spot the whole time you're running Audyssey?
No, but all should be kept fairly close. Its not seating positions.
(Within 20” or something from the first position, there are some good big threads about it)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1) Set all speakers to small
2) Set all speaker crossover to 120Hz
3) Disable MRC
4) Change curve from reference to flat
5) boost each sub by 3-4dB
6) Reduce surround levels by 3-5dB (because I leave DEQ enabled)
Do you disable MRC in the app? Can you explain why you like to do that? Is the app worth paying $20 for?
Also, why do you like to change the curve from reference to flat?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'll play... 11.2 in the room
Speakers small / crossovers all at 80.
Sub bump about 4-5dB
Next, I take out the old school radioshack meter and level all volumes to a reference 75dB - this balances out the overly amped up atmos/surround in wall speaker volumes.
Another key note, all speaker levels are at or under the zero mark when finished, I'm not "boosting volume" on any speaker.
Remove the midrange compression with the app.
I leave Audyessy on at Reference with DEQ, Dynamic Volume is OFF.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Do you disable MRC in the app? Can you explain why you like to do that? Is the app worth paying $20 for?
Also, why do you like to change the curve from reference to flat?
MRC can only be disabled in the app as far as I know. I do that because MRC adds a response dip where audyssey "thinks" the internal Xover exists. I find this completely unecessary as modern Xovers don't have the same issues as 30 years ago.

Is the app worth $20? I dont know. if you like to tinker, yes. It allows you to save multiple presets and re-load them should you change your setup to something you had previous and don't want to run setup again. It is nice to see all the target curves. If you are integrating subs, yes. It is probably worth it so you know if it is EQ'ing flat to 10hz or not.

I change to flat curve because if someone intended an audio source to rolloff like the "reference" curve it will be mixed that way and not need altered by audyssey. I also like to listen to hi-res audio sources (content up to 40kHz) so I dont want audyssey to neuter the content above 16kHz.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I'll play... 11.2 in the room
Speakers small / crossovers all at 80.
Sub bump about 4-5dB
Next, I take out the old school radioshack meter and level all volumes to a reference 75dB - this balances out the overly amped up atmos/surround in wall speaker volumes.
Another key note, all speaker levels are at or under the zero mark when finished, I'm not "boosting volume" on any speaker.
Remove the midrange compression with the app.
I leave Audyessy on at Reference with DEQ, Dynamic Volume is OFF.
By “boosting volume” i do mean from what the auto setup set it at, subs are still at negative after the “boost”, i think most others do it the same way unless they say otherwise. ( “i set it at +6dB” or such instead of boost/increase by 6dB)

·
Registered
34 Posts
We have a step by step on how to optimize Audyssey here:

in summary the three most important items:
  1. Proper measurement (use 5-8 points and ensure about 18-20 inches from 1st measurement point)
  2. Measure bass post calibration as you may need to adjust +3 to +6dB
  3. Turn off midrange compensation
I have several additional reference articles and links in the presentation and they are available in the video notes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
And since you asked about the app you can only disable midrange compensation via the app. While not perfect the app gives you control over Audyssey’s features and results.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have a step by step on how to optimize Audyssey here:

in summary the three most important items:
  1. Proper measurement (use 5-8 points and ensure about 18-20 inches from 1st measurement point)
  2. Measure bass post calibration as you may need to adjust +3 to +6dB
  3. Turn off midrange compensation
I have several additional reference articles and links in the presentation and they are available in the video notes.
Wow, that is a long video. I'll definately look at it when I have a chance. I'm particularly curious in what you have to say about measuring and adjusting bass after running.

Turn off MRC, disable DEQ, turn off Audyssey past 500hz, bump sub 3-4, center 1.
I'm curious, why do you turn off Audyssey past 500 hz? Do you have your own equalizer for your subs, or do you just not like the flat response that Audyssey uses? You could put in a house curve from Audyssey below 500 hz, right?

Thanks guys, these are the types of tidbits I was hoping to find from this thread!

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can just fast forward to the points in the slide deck if that’s easier. The second hour or so we then just keep talking with Q&A from the audience.

To answer your two questions:

Audyssey typically under measures subwoofer response by 3 to 6 dB. That’s why you want to measure after calibration so you know how much to boost. What you will hear in the forums sometimes is people talking about creating a custom curve or what have you, but the science behind it is the lack of bass volume post calibration. In the real world for example you might see all your other speakers measuring 75 DB with test tones but your subwoofer measures only at 69 or 70! That’s the first place where you want to start before you start fooling with any other types of curves.

The second point has to do with what’s called the Schroeder frequency. Some argue that the most effective EQ is only up to the Schroeder frequency (which is different in each room) and usually below 500Hz. We go into this in some detail in the presentation. This is one of those “it depends.” Using the Audyssey app you can load a full range correction and then a limited (up to 300Hz let’s say) and compare what you like better.

For your first pass I would simply go with Audyssey correction defaults (20Hz to 20kHz) then you can certainly create a copy of your results from the app and then limit correction to 300 400 or 500 Hz. There are lots of articles online if you want to geek out and measure precisely where the Schroeder frequency is in your room where it ceases to become a resonator.

Finally start with proper speaker placement first. Any room correction solution is to be used as sparingly as possible.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I run a 3 position cal (seems to work better than 8 position in my space). Then:
I create a duplicate of the calibration in the app, which lets me preserve the unaltered cal settings, but also gives me a calibration profile I can easily revert to when comparing different sounds or speaker setups.

In app, on the duplicated cal file I will:
-Disable MRC
-Set speakers to small, universal crossover at 80hz (or as low as the highest crossover set by Audyssey if that's above 80hz).
-Turn all surround trims down by about 4 dB.
-usually bump the sub trim up by about 1dB

Then I'll apply that new cal profile to my AVR. Then:
-Leave Audyssey on the Reference curve.
-turn on DEQ, and set RLO to 5 for each input I use.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question, what's MRC ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for the dumb question, what's MRC ?
Mid-Range Compensation. Audyssey automatically lowers the response around 2khz, because that is where the crossover is expected to be and it call cause harshness in some speakers at that frequency. By lowering the response, the harshness is reduced. However, most nicer, modern speakers don't have this problem, so you don't always need it. Only way to turn it off is in the app.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts