AVS Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I have my "process" that I go through, and by now I've done it enough times that I'm comfortable. Also, my speakers are placed with a tape measure and I've put small dots to mark their spots in case somebody bumps them (same with my couch :eek: and where I place the mic boom).

• With the app I do my careful calibration, all 8 positions, clustered within 12" to 15" of the main MLP.
  • Re-assign my speakers to "small" and raise to 80hz crossover.
  • Verify with REW and umik-1, but have to add about +2dB to the SW trim just to play it level with the speakers...not including my own boosts. What Theo said seems to be correct, not sure why Audyssey overestimates it but I think it's because they assume you will be using DEQ and they likely also want to not overboost.
  • I disable MRC, and use the Target 2 rolloff for Reference.
  • I typically use DEQ for movies; I've measured it and listen at lower volumes and like what it does. I have bass capable towers all around and a beefy center so the bass doesn't sound muddy like others complain about. I do reduce the surround trims by -3 since I usually listen at -15 and don't want DEQ to raise the surrounds trim (another common complaint about DEQ).
  • I also have my similar settings without DEQ when I listen to music in which I found my optimal tone control settings. I also limit EQ correction to 300hz for this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Great replies! It seems like almost everyone turns off MRC and boats the sub, dive Audyssey sets that a little low. Does anyone like to boost the sub beyond making sure it matches the level of the other speakers, or add a house curve that increases it with a slope?

Some argue that the most effective EQ is only up to the Schroeder frequency (which is different in each room) and usually below 500Hz.
This is really interesting to me. If most rooms have a Schroeder frequency in the 100-300 Hz range, and we don't EQ above that, then MRC and Reference/Flat don't matter, do they? I'm assuming you only want to do this if you have nice speakers that are well placed, so there aren't a lot of peaks or dips above the Schroeder Frequency naturally, right? Also, if the Schroeder Frequency is around 100 Hz, we are essentially just EQing the subwoofer... Wouldn't something like a miniDSP so a better job than Audyssey in that case?

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I turn off MRC, use the Curve Editor to add about 5 dB at 25 Hz (the low point of my subs), sloping down to the Audyssey target curve at 100 Hz. The result is bass that sounds in the right proportion to any classical recording I've tried (that's all I listen to). My "reference" is how orchestras and pianists sound in the concert hall. This change with the Curve Editor seems to produce a better result than merely bumping up the sub trims.

My front mains are set to cross over at 80 Hz. Based on the Audyssey after-calibration predictions showing weird stuff below 100 Hz, I set my center channel and surrounds to 100 Hz crossover. DEQ is off except for the cable TV input; I leave it on and set reference level offset to -10 dB.

I have tried using a test tone disc and the Radio Shack meter to check trim levels on my speakers (except for the sub--the RS meter is inaccurate at low frequencies). The trim levels are within 1-2 dB of each other, which is the margin of error for the Audyssey mic. So this procedure is a waste of time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I turn off MRC, use the Curve Editor to add about 5 dB at 25 Hz (the low point of my subs), sloping down to the Audyssey target curve at 100 Hz.
You are the first person to say they add a house curve, great! I assume you only adjust the curve editor for the subwoofer, not for the other channels, right? Do you adjust it by just tapping and dragging on the screen to get the curves how you want? I find it very difficult to get the curves to do what I want on their editor.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
You are the first person to say they add a house curve, great! I assume you only adjust the curve editor for the subwoofer, not for the other channels, right? Do you adjust it by just tapping and dragging on the screen to get the curves how you want? I find it very difficult to get the curves to do what I want on their editor.
I use house curves when I don't use DEQ, but I usually just prefer DEQ anyway since it's the type of curve I like.

I add the curve to all the channels, as it's more balanced that way and it closes the gap in the crossovers.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Small, raise crossovers, disable deq, disable mrc, drop surrounds a couple db, raise atmos a couple db, raise subs a few db, full range house curve for my Revels but Dynaudios only need bass eq.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Why does everyone seem to drop their surrounds a couple db ? I always find that my surrounds are too low.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Why does everyone seem to drop their surrounds a couple db ? I always find that my surrounds are too low.
I think most people do it because Dynamic EQ not only boosts your base when you lower volume, but it also boosts your surrounds. Some people think it boosts the surrounds too much, and thus they drop the surrounds a couple db to compensate. If you aren't using Dynamic EQ though, then I'm not sure why you'd lower them, unless you just think they are overpowering the front stage.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts