AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At abou the same time two similar movies came out the day after tommorow and post impact both got things right and some thing wrong.

Post Impact:

Things it got right.

1) it would take years for the earth fo freeze over after an ELE

2). The Microwave beam sattelite in the film is actually being developed by the military.

3) Any survivors trapped so long would be hostile to outsiders

4). trying to blow up an astroid will do more harm than good.

5.) Ice over water is very unstable.

5) Joanna taylor's nipples are too small

6) gas prices would shoot sky high in the least affected nations.

Things it got WRONG.

1) the coats are not thick enough for the temperature indicated but that is a budget issue since it was a low budget film.

2.) Those tanks wouldnt have rolling chairs (fault of the low budget)

The day after tommorow.

What it got right.

1.) global warming is an issue and does affect the weather

2.) people can survive if they make an effort to and have sufficient means to do so.

3) multiple tornadoes can and do form

What it got wrong

1) the climate change happens too darn fast

2) the statute of liberty would collapse ( it collased in a similar scene in Category 7: the end of the world)

3.) Hurricanes do notform over land.

4) people don't freeze that fast.

5) fuel does not freeze at that temp.

6) that glass on the mall would have collapsed and killed them all.

7). Those wolves would have been frozen to death.

8.) if the turbulence got that bad they would have made an emergency landing

9) tennis rackets make horrible snow shoes

10) the big tidal wave is a sheet of water it would have crested not styed as a wall of water when it went through the city.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Thanks for the info. I definitely have no desire to see "TDAT," as your #1 claim about what it got right is ridiculous. On the other hand, claim #5 on "Post Impact" is intriguing...

·
Registered
4,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK /forum/post/15494574

Thanks for the info. I definitely have no desire to see "TDAT," as your #1 claim about what it got right is ridiculous. On the other hand, claim #5 on "Post Impact" is intriguing...

What is it about "Ice over Water is unstable" that you find so intriguing?

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Irmo, I was thinking of the scene in "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" where he runs away to the Island of Misfit Toys...he seems pretty stable on that floating chunk of ice!

Nothing to do with that "other" item 5...

·
Registered
4,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK /forum/post/15495330

Irmo, I was thinking of the scene in "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" where he runs away to the Island of Misfit Toys...he seems pretty stable on that floating chunk of ice!

Yeah, they got, what, a whole pack dog team, a full grown Mountain Man, an elf, and a reindeer on that thing and it barely wobbled.

Come to think of it, that film was way ahead of its time in forecasting the melting of the ice caps. Yukon sure had an easy time of it in chipping away that iceberg. Perhaps they should include the film as further evidence of the phenomenon.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
However, Irmo, the most noteworthy revelation from "RtR-NR" was Yukon's stunning declaration: "Bumbles bounce!"

·
Registered
4,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK /forum/post/15496054

However, Irmo, the most noteworthy revelation from "RtR-NR" was Yukon's stunning declaration: "Bumbles bounce!"

That and the fact that Santa's a real a-hole.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Raymond,

Deep Impact and another similar film called Armageddon both came out in 1998, and both concerned a large comet striking the Earth. Overall I prefer the first film as it has a better script, casting, and acting - but the second film has a few laughs with Bruce Willis and his roughnecks, plus eye candy with Liv Tyler.

The Day After Tomorrow was a 2004 film about an abrupt Ice Age brought about by Global Warming which caused a deep ocean current to suddenly change direction. The Science behind this is seriously questionable, and the climate change would take weeks not days as depicted - a poorly made film IMHO. Anyways I have no desire to see this film again, whereas the two above I have watched multiple times because both have entertainment value.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq /forum/post/15496618

That and the fact that Santa's a real a-hole.

LOL. My wife hates watching that with me because I always point out what a jerk he is in that movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIGeU...m/blog?page=13

I specifically like when he admonishes Donner for having such a crappy son. hahaha....I'm laughing just thinking about it.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/15497104

LOL. My wife hates watching that with me because I always point out what a jerk he is in that movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIGeU...m/blog?page=13

I specifically like when he admonishes Donner for having such a crappy son. hahaha....I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Yep, exactly. And, don't forget the scene where he listens to the elf choir's earnest attempt at singing, snorts that it "needs work" and then ambles off into the next room.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK /forum/post/15494574

claim #5 on "Post Impact" is intriguing...
It is, although you only see them for a few seconds.

the movie is okay, its just obviously low budget, the original two drafts of script was much grander than what you see in the film, the buget was only around $6,000,000.00

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Duh. I remember the film Post Impact now. It did make an impression on me - I turned it off after 25 minutes and deleted it from the TiVo.

I don't know why - there is no bigger SF fan then me, and I have seen most of the "B" films ever made, even the grindhouse variety. But the low budget stinkers the SciFi channel makes are the only type of SF movie I cannot stomach watching even once. I finish a few, I fast forward through most in a futile search for good FX shots, some are so bad I just delete.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
If "Post Impact" were a Sci-Fi channel movie, how intriguing could the second point #5 be? Surely, SciFi channel did not show what even FX TV-MA shows won't show?

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/15493251

10) the big tidal wave is a sheet of water it would have crested not styed as a wall of water when it went through the city.

And conspicuously absent was Laird Hamilton - or any other tow-in surfer.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
The Day After Tomorrow is only good for one thing. Six-track Dolby stereo digital sound.

As for, Post Impact? First I’ve heard about sounds dodgy?

·
Registered
912 Posts
It's amazing how much I miss the finer details in movies (especially the nipple thing, although I did catch some of that in Spidey 1) - I must be too busy cheering on the hero and crying at the tragedy!

And give S.C. a break, he has to be a hard-nosed task master to keep those pert elves in line, otherwise they'd never meet their annual goals!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
"Deep Impact" bothered me in the scene when the heroes approached the comet through a harrowing field of debris sloughing off behind the comet. This was an integral part of the plot, as the damage from hitting the debris caused problems and injuries which were critical to actions of the characters. The problem is that a comet's tail is always away from the sun and caused by solar wind, not movement of the comet through space trailing behind its movement, thus coming up behind the comet, which was described as inward bound from the sun, as the heroes did, would be on the opposite side of the debris field and not hazardous as depicted. The debris would actually be ahead of the comet in this instance, not behind it.

"Armegeddon " may have had the same discrepancy. I don't remember.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts