AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The parent thread (42pz700, 50pz700,etc thread) has only 1 or 2 people who have reported their settings with this tv. Many people have asked for either complete or baseline settings. When posting your settings, please post a description of your home theater set-up (dark room, light room, windows, etc) so that it will better help those with this tv to set-up their tv in a similar setting. Thanks in advanced!

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemx989 /forum/post/0

. . . . . When posting your settings, please post a description of your home theater set-up (dark room, light room, windows, etc) so that it will better help those with this tv to set-up their tv in a similar setting.

Also they should indicate which input the setting is for, and what kind of component is connected to said input (TV's internal tuner, or Oppo DVD Player, TWC SA8300HD DVR, DirecTV Receiver, etc) and what kind of cable is being used to connect it (HDMI, Component, S-Video, etc).

·
Registered
686 Posts
Sorry to butt in for a sec - but Randy, I sent you two private mails on here, please go read them?

As for the settings, I am still experimenting on my 58, but it seems no matter which one I use, they ALL look great to me! I am soooooo darn happy to at last have a plasma!!!!!!!!

One problem though, I would swear I was once able to change the settings for 3D Comb fileter and the pq setting under it when I first got the set. But now, no matter if on TV, comp 1 or 2, HDMI 1 or 2, or what ever, these and a few other settings are now greyed out. Wonder what happened???????

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky /forum/post/0

One problem though, I would swear I was once able to change the settings for 3D Comb fileter and the pq setting under it when I first got the set. But now, no matter if on TV, comp 1 or 2, HDMI 1 or 2, or what ever, these and a few other settings are now greyed out. Wonder what happened???????

In the owners thread, someone mentioned this issue and was told in the menu it will grey out stuff depending on the input signal. So the 3D comb filter would only be for a 480i signal, I think.

·
Registered
686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemx989 /forum/post/0

mine is greyed out too. hmm. WRX, what is your hd source? Satellite, cable, OTA?

I have the XBox 360 (component) at 1080i and the PS3 (HDMI - with new 1.8FW that converts everything to 1080p now), both going through my Yamaha V2700 receiver to HDMI 1 (but is pass through, not touching the video signal). I Also have a Motorolla DCT6416 III cable box (1080i), but for some reason it won't go through the V2700 via HDMI (screen says don't support repeaters?), so I have it going direct to HDMI 2. So the only inputs I am using are Comp 1 and HDMI 1&2.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
6 posts in a thread about settings and no one's posted any settings. OK, I'll start

This is for the HDMI1 input. I have a DirecTV HR20-700, PS3 and Toshiba A35 routed through a receiver to this input. I leave the settings the same for each device but they were optimized for the BluRays on the PS3.

Picture Mode: Custom

Picture: +17

Brightness: +12

Color: +2

Tint: -4

Sharpness: 0

Temp: Normal

Color Mgmt: Off

C.A.T.S.: Off

Video NR: Off

Mosquito NR: Off

Black Level: Light

HD Size: 2

My set was ISF calibrated so it may have affected the baseline for the settings. YMMV.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure if folks who might be in a position to answer this question are actively reading this thread, but I'm cross-posting this from the Panasonic xxPZ7xx owners thread...

I've been enjoying my 42PZ700U for the past couple of weeks. Since I've been diligent about keeping the picture setting at zero (or at most, +10) during the break-in period, I haven't even attempted to calibrate any picture settings.

Well, I'm well above 150+ hours now, and am beginning to think about picture adjustments. Last night, I watched "Superbad" on SD DVD (over S-Video). The detail was great (I'm really impressed by how well the Panny presents SD video... nearly CRT quality), but I noticed the blacks were fairly plugged, without a great deal of detail. Since I've been using pretty much baseline (nearly all zeros) for the picture settings, I didn't worry much about it.

After the movie was over, I popped in my copy of Digital Video Essentials (DVE) to take a look at the PLUGE settings. Starting with a baseline of all settings at zero, I began pushing the brightness, and then the picture settings. Try as I might, I couldn't render the PLUGE bars to the sides of the screens (I could *just* make out the very top and bottom of what I suspect is the middle bar). My concerns began to grow as I realized even playing with the Black Level setting didn't help the situation.

I've poked around a bit through the forum here, and found comments from at least one member claiming to be an ISF calibrator who noted "the new Panasonic's are notorious for breaking the Pluge pattern used to set (black)". I'm trying to learn a few things in my efforts to calibrate my new Panny.

1. What does it mean that Panasonics "break" PLUGE?

2. Have other users had luck in calibrating their picture on their own (without paying $$$ to ISF resources), in an effort to render baseline SMPTE? What did those setting look like? Although I appreciate folks sharing their personal experiences with the PZs, I'm not really interested in "these are the settings I used and they looked good to me". I'm interested in individuals who are self-configuring their new Pannys against a SMPTE standard.

3. What "off-the-shelf" products/discs/etc. have individuals used to configure their sets? I've used Joe Kane's products in the past to configure my CRT, but have never used DVE with my plasma (until last night). I've also read a tiny bit about SpyderTV products, but also don't know much about them.

4. Does anyone suspect I may have better luck trying to configure the set using SMPTE signals over component or HDMI signal paths?

5. Is anyone having success in rendering detail in the black/dark gray of their picture? Does this require using so-called "torch" settings of +30 picture, +30 brightness? Is there any compromise that has been discovered, if I'd prefer to extend the life of my set?

Thanks to all those in the know...

·
Registered
308 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.