AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am gonna get the Sony DAV-FR8 probably this week. Going with the FR8 as the rear speakers are small versus the FR9 which has towers.

Anyone running the FR8? Would be most interested to see how you like it.

· Registered
1,575 Posts
Go to the Audio forum and then speakers. The speaker section gets as many posts on it a day as this one does.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Neighbor got this system. He thought I'd be impressed and brought me over for a demo. We then walked over to my house and listened to the DVD on my 5 year old DENON AVR-3300 and Mirage speakers (Mirage FRx-7s, FRx-Center, FRx-Rear, FRx-S12 Sub) He went red faced after listening to my system. Of course my systems MSRP was ~$3000 when I bought it 5 yrs ago.

To be honest I've never found any of these package systems to be very impressive, they're nice for a budget system but not much more.

I'm sure if you go over to the audio area of the forum you'll find much the same opinions.

CCourtney

· Registered
5,055 Posts
$3000 is nothing for an audio system....GrBah! =) Then again I don't have much myself....starting with an SVS can't hurt.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by elmalloc
$3000 is nothing for an audio system....GrBah! =) Then again I don't have much myself....starting with an SVS can't hurt.
I agree with that statement about $3000 being nothing for an audio system, however my wife would not :rolleyes: That was not my point, I guess I should have worded it better. Not everybody knows what Mirage speakers (good quality speakers made in Canada) The canada government has funded a significant amount of audio research out of which has come several high end speaker manufactures. These speakers are a significant step up over your full/mid size JBL, Cerwin Vega, Yamaha, ... speakers while the sony's are a step down.

The audio quality between the system he's refering to which is a package deal for Progressive Scan DVD Player, Audio Receiver, 2-Front, 2-Rear, 1-center, 1-sub for $600 compared to a decent mid-level system (which I'd guess the majority of visitors here have something equivelent to) is like night and day.

He asked for opinions of those who are running the system. The closest I could do was to tell him of my neighbors opinion after hearing his own system then hearing mine.

What exactly did you mean by
Quote:
...starting with an SVS can't hurt
I'm taking SVS to me Seamless Video Switch and I'm trying to figure out how that comes into play here?

CCourtney

· Registered
6,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by c1courtney
What exactly did you mean by I'm taking SVS to me Seamless Video Switch and I'm trying to figure out how that comes into play here?
> He's talking about the SVS subwoofers, which is a very popular sub brand on this site.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Uh... I wasn't even thinking about branding since he didn't indicate a product but I guess with SVS it's implied.

CCourtney

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.