AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether there is any difference between aforementioned picture issues?

I did a long google and I've found little information on whether these are all just synonyms
?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Posterization and false contouring are definitely the same thing. Banding can absolutely be used in the same way, but is also used to describe a very different phenomenon where vertical or horizontal "bands" are seen on screen (sort of delineated by differing amounts of darkness/lightness). But yes, they can be all used to describe the same phenomenon.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. One less mystery in my mind now. I've never seen it with real live content so I guess I'm pretty immune to it.

So only dithering bothers me. Not woth getting an LCD for though

·
Registered
835 Posts
They are all different things but their source is the same: the physical limitations of the current PDP technology, coupled with the picture processing and dithering techniques of the given plasma TV.

All of these can happen with all PDPs.

The "false-conturing" seems to be Panasonic exclusive, but distorted dithering noise (and thus banding and posterization...) can sometimes become noticable on all PDPs.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there some clear visual material that shows as to how they are different? Your answer seems to conflict a bit with earlier answers.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I don't find those links overly helpful, 8mile. But the "Banding" one shows the other definition of banding I alluded to. The posterization ones show some good examples, which, again, can be called false contouring.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do generally know what to look for know. An onsmooth color gradient. I can't see I've seen them on real live content just yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.