AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more than a bit embarrassing, but I've never cleaned my EH55 that I was fortunate to have found "open box" in Vancouver, B.C., perhaps or. years ago. In any event, using Tai Yuden DVR-R media, the deck has recorded (from my cable box line outputs) sucessfully for all this time. In the last few days I've dubbed a couple of hour-and-a-half VHS tapes to my 55's HD aNd copied them to DVD. Each DVD, when played, froze at about the one-hour mark and wouldn't play beyond that.

It seems that either my not cleaning the EH55 or mechanical/electronic failure has disabled my machine from its hitherto effective functioning. Is the failure due to my lack of cleaning or is the recorder due for a professional rehabilitation, if possible?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I too have had that problem, and it was with the T-Y disks. It started when they went form T-Y to JVC T-Y. I overcame the problem (page 61 in the manual) by changing the rapidity of high speed copying from top speed mode to silent mode. It takes slightly longer, but I haven't had a burn issue since making that change. No, I don't know why, but the pragmatist in me just takes it that silent mode works and is satisfied.

I have gone through maybe 2000 disks since making that change, and not one has failed. I have a DVD duplicator from Supermediastore. It has a test function and I run every disk I make through that test function. I would occasionally get failures at top speed mode, but I haven't had a single one since using silent mode.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too have had that problem, and it was with the T-Y disks. It started when they went form T-Y to JVC T-Y. I overcame the problem (page 61 in the manual) by changing the rapidity of high speed copying from top speed mode to silent mode. It takes slightly longer, but I haven't had a burn issue since making that change. No, I don't know why, but the pragmatist in me just takes it that silent mode works and is satisfied.

I have gone through maybe 2000 disks since making that change, and not one has failed. I have a DVD duplicator from Supermediastore. It has a test function and I run every disk I make through that test function. I would occasionally get failures at top speed mode, but I haven't had a single one since using silent mode.
Thanks for the tip on the silent mode. I was unaware of that option and will have a go at it next time.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip on the silent mode. I was unaware of that option and will have a go at it next time.
I attempted to try "silent mode" (page 61) with a recent recording, and I could find no such option under "copy" or "advanced copy". Is this an option elsewhere on the eh55?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I attempted to try "silent mode" (page 61) with a recent recording, and I could find no such option under "copy" or "advanced copy". Is this an option elsewhere on the eh55?

Setup

Disc

Rapidity of high-speed copying

Two options, top speed mode or silent mode.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Ah..Thanks. I hadn't thought to going back to set up.
You're welcome. I have no idea if it will actually help you, but I found it solved my problem. The venerable EH55 is still my workhorse DVD recorder. :) The EH50 and EH55 are the two that I like the most.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're welcome. I have no idea if it will actually help you, but I found it solved my problem. The venerable EH55 is still my workhorse DVD recorder. :) The EH50 and EH55 are the two that I like the most.
I copied a short (i.e., 49 minutes) PBS program at XP (I usually copy television films at SP because they more often than not exceed an hour in length) to my 55's hard drive, went to set up and selected the silent mode as you suggested, and dubbed to a TY DVD-R disk and it worked just fine.

Now I'll copy at least two or three full-length films (up to 2 hours each) and see how it goes. I'll be recording at SP. of course, to fit the recordings to the disks. Thanks again for the tip.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I copied a short (i.e., 49 minutes) PBS program at XP (I usually copy television films at SP because they more often than not exceed an hour in length) to my 55's hard drive, went to set up and selected the silent mode as you suggested, and dubbed to a TY DVD-R disk and it worked just fine.

Now I'll copy at least two or three full-length films (up to 2 hours each) and see how it goes. I'll be recording at SP. of course, to fit the recordings to the disks. Thanks again for the tip.

Has the change continued to help or has it not been effective?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has the change continued to help or has it not been effective?
I spent much of the weekend buying a new, used car, so I've been distracted.

I'll copy a couple of feature films from my STB and dub them in the same manner, i.e., in high speed, but silent, mode and try to allocate some time to watch them in the next couple of days in between various preparatory work for my film classes.

I'll post the results in this thread.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I'm not trying to rush you, I was just interested in the possible results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts