AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I think this is my first post. Anyway, I picked up Pirates 2 (Dead Man's Chest) today at lunch, and when I took it home I was unable to get it to play in my BD-P1200. I could play the intro materials, but then I would get to what I think is the disc menu. It has the talking pirate skull, which gives its schpeel, then goes into the loop "dead men tell no tales". I am assuming I am supposed to see menu options around this talking skull, but I have nothing to work with. There are no words around the skull or selections, and I cannot do anything with the remote buttons. I get the red circle icon when I try to do anything. I tried resetting the player with the FF for 5 secs, but that did nothing. I have started the disc several times, and it still does not play.

I am going to call Samsung now, but I just thought I would post my findings.

*Update - Samsung is aware of this problem, they said I was the 4th person to call about this today. They said they are receiving the movie from Netflix tomorrow to help resolve the issue, and will call me back. I hope netflix didn't put them on the "short wait" for the movie.

*Update 2 - Problem fixed with downloadable firmware update. see below.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks for your post. This is disturbing news. My copies (of both Pirates) will arrive this week and I'm not looking forward to putting DMC in my 1200 with the same results you had. It seems to me that the CE companies have run too far ahead of the technology curve with HD video technologies. There is really no excuse for such poor performance for a new commercial technology. I'm beginning to have doubts about jumping in on the 2nd generation BD player.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoback /forum/post/0

*Update - Samsung is aware of this problem, they said I was the 4th person to call about this today. They said they are receiving the movie from Netflix tomorrow to help resolve the issue, and will call me back. I hope netflix didn't put them on the "short wait" for the movie.

Like they are so cheap they can't go out and buy a flippin' copy of the movie at BB or Walmart? Jeez.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

Quote:

They said they are receiving the movie from Netflix tomorrow to help resolve the issue, and will call me back. I hope netflix didn't put them on the "short wait" for the movie.

Cheapskates! Or they could send someone out to BB or CC to pick up a few copies to test with.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I encountered the problem with my Philips BDP9000 and the Samsung 1.1 firmware solved the problem. Same goes for the Samsung BDP1000, though I don't know if the BDP1200 uses the 1.1 firmware or not. If it does I'd give that a try.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
BD-J is going to be like Universal Combo discs for Blu-ray. Good thing I have PS3 for PoTC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I encounted this problem this morning as well when I tried to display the movie using the Sony BDP-S1. The movie wouldn't load at all at first. I updated to firmware v1.55 and got to the primary menu, but then player same problem as sjoback. After finding that v1.6 had been released and loading that, the movie plays fine, but seems "buggy;" like the transition between menus and durring loading isn't as smooth as it whould be. Oh, and the audio was dropping out on the menu screen.

·
Registered
584 Posts
This is a bummer, I got the POTC movies today but I will not be able to try them until next week. Hopefully they will have a fix by then.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Pirates runs on my first gen sammy, menus are slow to load but the movie spun just fine......running newest firmware.........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the heads up. I didn't have time to check for firmware at lunch - I'll check when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone /forum/post/0

I have a BDP-1200 and checked for a new firmware version with the player's UI just now and it's downloading something. Maybe this would help fix the problems.

·
Registered
Sony XBR85Z8H Sony XBR75Z8H Samsung QN75Q900RB PlayStation5 Sony HT-ST5000 XBOX Series X
208 Posts

Quote:

I have a BDP-1200 and checked for a new firmware version with the player's UI just now and it's downloading something. Maybe this would help fix the problems.

Please let us know what happens as soon as it's done...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well no firmware posted on the website yet...since Amazon is dicking around with my shipment I guess I have no way to validate this anyway but still...disturbing news

·
Registered
Sony XBR85Z8H Sony XBR75Z8H Samsung QN75Q900RB PlayStation5 Sony HT-ST5000 XBOX Series X
208 Posts

Quote:

My copies of Pirates 1 & 2 don't work on my 1200, either

Hey Frank, any info on the download?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
**UPDATE - PROBLEM FIXED**

Just got home and downloaded a firmware update via the ethernet jack on the bd-p1200. DHCP wasn't working for some reason, so I entered the IP numbers manually, but that's another issue.

Anyway, I was presented with an upgrade:

current version: 070223.01_111F_0924.04_XAA

new version: 070519_01_BDP1200_XAA

It took about 10-15 min to download the update, and another 5-10min to install the update. The player configuration settings were reset as part of the update.

I am now able to access the movie menu features, and actually PLAY the movie. So, it looks like a quick fix after all (at least for me). Anyone else had any luck?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:

**UPDATE - PROBLEM FIXED**Just got home and downloaded a firmware update via the ethernet jack on the bd-p1200.

Another reason every BD player should of had a ethernet connector from day one...I hope this is included in new BD spec's coming after Oct 31st. One of the best features on my PS3.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.