AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of putting together a shopping list for my bedroom htpc. If all goes well it should be connected to acer 32 inch 1080p hdtv, Im also purchasing. I want to build a PC for downloading movies and watching blu ray rips, streaming to justin.tv. The operating system used would most likey be Windows 7 along with XMBC. I plan on leaving it on 24/7 downloading torrents in the background and watching blu ray rips.

Motherboard

ASUS M4A785-M - AM3 - AMD785G - DDR2 - HDMI - uATX Motherboard

CPU

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1 MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail ADX250OCGMBOX

HD

Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARS

Im on a strict budget trying to spend less than $400. What else do you pros recommend?

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
What I learned, especially on a bedroom system, is you want as little noise as possible. AMD makes 45w CPUs, might look into this and passive or very low speed cooling.

Depending on your bedroom, even a slimline mATX case can seem kind of big. I had a complete bedroom system built then realized it was too big and noisy for the bedroom. If I did it again I'd go ITX. (I ended up giving my daughter the PC and moving a PS3 slim into the BR for now.)

And like he said above, unless you are just trying to reuse some RAM you already have, you might as well go DDR3 for future upgradeability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/19602509

Any reason you're sticking to DDR2 RAM? Old modules lying around perhaps?

I was planning on buying some ram later lol.. What your saying is I should get a better motherboard? I chose this motherboard because of its hdmi support I plan on inserting a dedicated video card later. Do you think it's enough for blu ray or rips/ 1080p videos?

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Well, he's not going to be able to build a system now with NO RAM though. So he's bound to have to buy something now or he has it laying around. I still don't know which it is. If he's buying now, better to get DDR3 for future upgradeability. If he has some to use now, and buying some later, there are motherboards that will take both types. I have an Asus like this on my current HTPC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts