AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

The way I see it, I have two options for mounting my TV in a recessed space in my wall (3.5" deep).

1. I can get a swiveling/tilting mount with the extendable arm that would allow me to pull out the arm, mount, push back into the wall, done. Only problem is, the TV won't sit any closer than 5" to the wall, at least this is the distance I've seen on all the mounts I've researched so far.

2. I can get a non-swiveling/tilting mount that just sits flat to the wall but how difficult would it be to mount the TV with roughly 1" on either side?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I don't personally like the idea of recessed areas for TV's. I have hands like a St Bernard, so I'd wouldn't like fishing the cables. But really, once you get your cabling done, it should be good to go for a while, right?

Is your recessed area really exactly 1" around all 4 sides of the set? I would wonder about cooling/ventilation of the set too

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eric, thanks for the link that's very cool.

I built a room within a room in my basement so i'll have access to the back of the wall where the tv will be mounted which will also allow me to drill some holes for airflow. Yes, it's roughly an inch all around.

I think I'll attempt the install without the extending arm and to make things easier on myself, I'll leave out the trim for the inside of the box until after the install. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just measure twice, or three times, and you should be fine. With 1" clearance all around, you don't even have to worry about the "arms" of the TV side of the mount not clearing the lip on the wall side of the mount.

I've done this several dozen times, the tightest was a 61" Pioneer Elite plasma with 3/8" clearance all around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts