AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still waiting for mine but I thought I'd share this info with everybody.

I just received the following email from nbtelectronics:

Please be aware of a couple of potential issues with the DVP-520 that have come to light:

- Your player may default to Chinese menus. If this is the case, the remote key sequence to change to English is SETUP->1->2

- If your using component video cables, you must change the players setup menu. The remote key sequence is SETUP->6->2

- There have been a few reports of the 520 not working in progressive-scan mode with some HD-capable displays. Malata is aware of this and is working on a firmware update. When this update becomes available, you'll be notified via email and the CD image will be made available for download. If you don't have the capability to burn your own CD's, a copy will be mailed out to you.

If you have any other questions or problems, please feel free to ask!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Even worse news...

I think the problem may have been understated to me. I can't get the progressive scan output to work on ANY set I've tried so far (Toshiba and Panasonic models). The good news is that the firmware update should be available within a week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can confirm the progressive problem - it doesn´t work with my Sony TV in progressive.

The other annoying problem compared to older Malatas: They have removed the audio routing menu option. With this you could select MPEG audio on PAL discs (early PAL DVDs had only MPEG audio) to be output as a PCM stream and thus making it compatible with modern US receivers.

Since the chipset has not changed this is truly bad since the only thing preventing me from using this feature is a removed menu item.

Does anybody have any idea when and where to get the firmware update? In addition to that does anybody have an idea how to contact Malata about the MPEG audio problem? I am sure they could solve it with a simple firmware update.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can confirm the progressive problem - it doesn´t work with my Sony TV in progressive.

The other annoying problem compared to older Malatas: They have removed the audio routing menu option. With this you could select MPEG audio on PAL discs (early PAL DVDs had only MPEG audio) to be output as a PCM stream and thus making it compatible with modern US receivers.

Since the chipset has not changed this is truly bad since the only thing preventing me from using this feature is a removed menu item.

Does anybody have any idea when and where to get the firmware update? In addition to that does anybody have an idea how to contact Malata about the MPEG audio problem? I am sure they could solve it with a simple firmware update.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just received these (2) e-mails from Next Best Thing Electronics about the firmware upgrade for the Malata 520. Hope this helps. Sean

#1)

Subj: DVP-520 Firmware

Date: 06/13/02 12:07:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time

Please be advised that a firwmare upgrade is now available for the Malata DVP-520. The upgrade corrects the progressive-scan output of the player. Please check the current version installed in you player by powering it up without a disc in the tray and holding down the PAUSE button on the remote for 5 seconds. The installed firmware version information will be displayed at the top of the screen. If it is NOT Dated MAY 30, 2002, please reply to this message with the name you ordered under and we'll get an upgrade CD out to you right away. If your installed firmware IS dated May 30, 2002 there's nothing more you need to do as you already have the latest version. ---- John Golitsis Next Big Thing Electronics

#2)

Subj: Malata 520 firmware available for download

Date: 06/13/02 2:30:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time

(I'm having trouble with the email program I'm using, so if this is a duplicate message, I apologize) If you have the facility to burn your own CD, the 520 firmware is now available for download from: http://www.nbtelectronics.com/files/DVP520/be_firm.zip Simply unzip and copy the folder structure to a CD-R, making sure to finalized the disc. With the 520 powered off, set the upgrade switch on the back of the unit to the "UPGRADE" position. Power on the unit and load the update CD. After a few moments, a message will appear on the screen asking you to press the UP arrow key on the remote. Do so. The upgrade will complete automatically and the unit will reset to the standard power-on screen. Remove the CD, power off the unit and set the upgrade switch back to the "NORMAL" position. Your player should now be upgraded. To verify, hold down the PAUSE key for a few seconds and verify that the firmware is dated May 30. If you have any problems, just let us know and we'll send an upgrade CD out to you. --- John Golitsis Next Big Thing Electronics

·
Registered
13 Posts
Subj: Note regarding Malata firmware update

Date: 6/14/02 7:16:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time

If your 520 was previously set to component video output, you have to re-specify this after the new firmware is installed. The key sequence is: SETUP->6->1->2 This will first set the player to composite/S-video output, then back to component

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well, i hope they fix the mpeg audio problem, because none of my DVD-R/RW titles will play on this Malata 520. This really sucks, and i'll have to

return it, if they wont play at all.

Winston

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
They're aware of it an have passed the problem back to 'the powers that be'. A fix will come, just uncertain when. At least it's simple to upgrade and fix :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well, i spoke to NBT Electronics yesterday, as was told they were not aware of this 'issue', and i was the first person to mention it. Hope

the powers at Malata fix this issue.

Win

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by winman42
Well, i spoke to NBT Electronics yesterday, as was told they were not aware of this 'issue', and i was the first person to mention it.

Win
Odd. I wrote them an e-mail about the disappearance of the expert menu a week ago. They never answered. I'm still hesitant to buy the 520 until I learn more about the resolution of this issue.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well, perhaps they didnt around to that email. I actually called them

on the phone. Give that a shot, and keep us updated.

Win

·
Registered
136 Posts
I called NBT this morning and was told the problem had been reported to Malata but that they had not responded. The person I spoke to (who was also the person who had not replied to my e-mail) neither suggested nor confirmed that Malata would provide a solution, nor did he say that firmware would clear up the problem. He did promise that, when Malata responded, he would e-mail us the gist.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I know I won't be adding another Malata to my setup if it does not have an Expert menu.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

First time poster who has been following this thread with great interest. For what it's worth, I wrote Ronald at goldenshop.com.hk about the 520 vs. th 996 Malata and whether or not the audio menu was likely to be brought back via a firmware upgrade. Now, granted I've never worked with this gentleman before, so he could just be trying to sell me some of his old 996s, but here's what I got back:

Dear sir,

Thanks for your email.

The audio expert menu was removed from the 520 model, correct.

They will not add it anymore.

996 only super DVD audio.

520 does not support both.

Since I found a U.S. dealer with one remaning new 996 in stock, I had jumped on the unit earlier in the day already. If the above turns out to be true, I'll be happy that I did go for the 996.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So what are the important features found in the N996's 'Expert' menu that are gone from the 520??

I found a source for a N996, but i's $60 more than the 520 - are the 'Expert' options worth the price difference?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I would hope that the ability to play DTS has been granted to the 520 by default, as you need to apply it in the Expert menu with the 996!

Are the Filters and subtitle options now in the basic menu?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have no idea what options are available on the 520. You can download a PDF of the manual here:

http://www.accountwizard.com/clients...em&itemid=1910

But really it doesn't say much.

If the subtitle options & filters were removed, would that be a huge problem?? Enough to recomend against the 520?

Does anyone have both models and can do a direct comparrison?

EDIT - that link doesn't seem to work - if anyones interested check out:

http://nbtelectronics.com/

And find the Malata in the DVD section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What happens if I lose the remote control? I have tried to enter codes for malata on a universal remote to no avail. I live in NYC. Is there a dealer or another way to circumvent this issue. Help. e-mail to [email protected]

·
Registered
480 Posts
Have you tried to program a universal remote, by 'playing' the

MALATA into the universale remote. Or do you mean, u were

given 'codes', and they didnt work?

Cant imagine that a learning remote wont learn the commands

from the MALATA remote.

WInston

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.