AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am in a pickle.

I am doing renovations in my house right now, and am getting reasonably close to moving back in (within 2-3 weeks). Thing is, for reasons I won't get into right now, at this point I am completely without a TV in my living room right now.

I have an opportunity to buy a 54G10 right now for about 1400. OR I could wait on a 54G20/25. I just don't know what to do. I guess the biggest factor here is that if the 54G20/25's come out in like June, then obviously I'm gonna go with the G10. BUT if they are going to be out and fairly accessible in the next, say, 3-4 weeks, then I may just wait. I don't really have the option to get a larger/smaller size because of the size of my tv stand.

Is anyone else going through a similar situation right now? What are your plans? What would you recommend for me (especially you insiders that might know a little more about when the 2010's are coming out)?

Thank you guys so much for your help!

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
I would suggest that you wait, with all the rising black problems that Panasonic has been having (and their admission that it is normal for their plasma sets) it is best to simply wait and see what happens.

You can check out the link in my sig for more info.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
With the way Panny is treating their current customers in regard to rising blacks they don't deserve your business.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do not listen to the doom and gloomers here in the forum.

Just check the customer reviews, in Best Buy or Amazon, of the people that bought the TV that you want and you can probably make a better decision from there.

·
Registered
15,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 /forum/post/18190555

With the way Panny is treating their current customers in regard to rising blacks they don't deserve your business.

Who does? Panny customer service is actually better than most (much better than Samsung, who has denied the buzzing problem and offers no fix).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I guess my question now is: Does anyone have at least a reasonable idea when the new 54g20/25's will be available for retail?

Thanks again to everyone for their input...

·
Premium Member
834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/18191487

Who does? Panny customer service is actually better than most (much better than Samsung, who has denied the buzzing problem and offers no fix).

Check out the thread on black levels doubling. Even if(and that's a big if) the claims are all baloney Panny has decided not to discuss it with customers so they have no recourse.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/18191487

More specifically, they have been (or had been, according to some now) better than virtually all, if not all. However, as I alluded to, it might be not be that way anymore. Certainly, though, Samsung is the same old Samsung, when it comes to CS; so, I still trust Panasonic much more, at this time.

·
Registered
15,999 Posts
I agree that Panny CS leaves a lot to be desired right now on the black issue. My point was that other companies are no better, so what are we supposed to do?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, Im getting my G25 when it comes out. Not afraid of problems, whatever happens, happens. Life is too short to worry about this and worse if you start listening to so much negativity. Im excited for it! Yay for the Netflix built in thing, it is the only programming I actually use!

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsherk /forum/post/18189989

Hey guys, I am in a pickle.

I am doing renovations in my house right now, and am getting reasonably close to moving back in (within 2-3 weeks). Thing is, for reasons I won't get into right now, at this point I am completely without a TV in my living room right now.

I have an opportunity to buy a 54G10 right now for about 1400. OR I could wait on a 54G20/25. I just don't know what to do. I guess the biggest factor here is that if the 54G20/25's come out in like June, then obviously I'm gonna go with the G10. BUT if they are going to be out and fairly accessible in the next, say, 3-4 weeks, then I may just wait. I don't really have the option to get a larger/smaller size because of the size of my tv stand.

Is anyone else going through a similar situation right now? What are your plans? What would you recommend for me (especially you insiders that might know a little more about when the 2010's are coming out)?

Thank you guys so much for your help!

If you're going to be scouring your tv for every possible flaw, and checking black, color, and light levels once you buy it, and for every other week for it's entire lifespan, I wouldn't suggest buying a Panasonic.

If you're just looking for a tv that you'll enjoy, with possibly the greatest picture quality, then go ahead and get one. Or wait for the 2010 models, since they should technically be superior. But that's a few more months away, atleast for certain models.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/18194076

I agree that Panny CS leaves a lot to be desired right now on the black issue. My point was that other companies are no better, so what are we supposed to do?

Your point was understood, and since I more specifically added that they are better than 'virtually all, if not all' (other TV manufacturers) in regards to CS, indeed it is a dilemma. People should keep complaining to Panasonic. The MLL on '10 Pannys will start lower, and should rise more slowly, so I am willing to see how this plays outs with Panny, but their CS is still troubling on this issue. If Panny doesn't work out, one could eventually go to Samsung, in protest. However, remember, not all change is good.
Another option is LCD, one which I am not willing to consider at this time. Though, I would indeed seriously think about getting an LCD, before trusting a plasma purchase to Samsung. (Somebody already bought a '10 Samsung that buzzes.
) So, I guess, the answer right now is to wait.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Wait until 2011 models come out or buy something else.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/18198044

(Somebody already bought a '10 Samsung that buzzes.

Great, and here I was set to get a 50c450 and wait it out, if I get a buzzer it will be going back.

LCD is crap, Plasma is crap, what are we supposed to do?

·
Registered
410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/18198102

Great, and here I was set to get a 50c450 and wait it out, if I get a buzzer it will be going back.

LCD is crap, Plasma is crap, what are we supposed to do?

Wait for a new technology. OLED to get bigger and cheaper, FED, LPD, etc.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/18198044

Your point was understood, and since I more specifically added that they are better than 'virtually all, if not all' (other TV manufacturers) in regards to CS, indeed it is a dilemma. People should keep complaining to Panasonic. The MLL on '10 Pannys will start lower, and should rise more slowly, so I am willing to see how this plays outs with Panny, but their CS is still troubling on this issue. If Panny doesn't work out, one could eventually go to Samsung, in protest. However, remember, not all change is good.
Another option is LCD, one which I am not willing to consider at this time. Though, I would indeed seriously think about getting an LCD, before trusting a plasma purchase to Samsung. (Somebody already bought a '10 Samsung that buzzes.

This is certainly a tough call. I have a perfect Sammy, one of my daughters has a perfect Sammy, and my other daughter has a Panny(14 months old) that has black levels that aren't as good as when new but the problem isn't really noticeable with content on the screen unlike some on AVS that have washed out colors. The Sammy buzz thread is full of people with real problems. I guess if it was my call I'd buy a Sammy locally and keep returning till I got a good one. Not saying it's a great plan, but if you can't handle LCD off angle viewing and motion not sure there is a great plan.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
The problem is real. But for how many? That is the question. Not the programmed voltage change results that Panny has copped to but the drastic and abrupt voltage change results we see in the photos and the measured readings of 0 IRE.

It is a roll of the dice, pure and simple and truth be told probably not much worse odds of getting this issue than getting any other set with a possible issue. But Panny has basically said screw you to the people with affected sets. That is what is turning me away from this brand. I've been in the upgrade market for quite a while now and the choices get slimmer and slimmer.

To the OP and anyone else in the same situation I say check out the Sammy B650s, B850/860s for plasma. Buy over the counter with online price matching so you can better handle any return due to buzz issue if unlucky. Just like the MLL problem with Panny, some get it, most don't. Go figure. But the Panny 'gift' is lifelong and affects PQ, ostensibly the best area of PQ for which purchase was made. Panel buzz can be sorted out.

I was/am still waiting on the 54V25 but would need to wait a good bit longer after arrival to see if the issue has been fixed. Target area around Fall then. Conundrum is buy Sammy now (likely 58B860) or wait on 54V25.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts