AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a E* 6000 HD receiver. Yesterday purchased a MonsterPower HTS3500 to do a better job of protecting my gear after I had a different E* receiver (301) fail from an electrical storm.

I unplugged the 6000 from the power strip and plugged it into the HTS3500. The receiver would not restart. Call DISH and they walked me through the process for a hard reset (60 seconds, etc.) It came back on. I then switched channels to OTA HD (using the 8VSB) and the unit went out again (shut down.)

Called DISH a 2nd time. They walked me through the same process but the unit would not restart. They started the process for the RMA.

As a lark, I removed the 8VSB card, performed the hard reboot and the unit started up. Put the card back in, performed the reboot and it would not restart. Took the card out, performed the reboot and it started.

I'm now suspecting that the card may have been fired. Is there a way to tell?

Evidently the power button flashes some code at startup (8 - 13 flashes, depending upon something but don't know exactly what... but I suspect that it may tell me something.) Is there a decoder ring for this info?

Any other suggestions anyone could make? I don't have another 8VSB or 6000 to try swaps.

Thanks for the help.

Dale Rabeneck

------------------

------------------

Dale Rabeneck

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Had a D* huse D11 die after a power surge, fixed by replacing blown 130V20 MOV. unit good as new now. bells the engineer that speced a MOV in the power supply.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
sorry, did not make my point. failed units 9 out of 10 times are power supply problems. any way if a new unit get it replaced, out of warranty seek out a buddy who know electronics to take a look for a payment of a six pack and save a lot of money.

·
Registered
695 Posts
DTC may be right, but the quickest and easiest thing to do is the try a new 8vsb module. It sure sounds that that's cuasing the problems. My unit sometimes reboots or locks up (not as often since the last software upgrade) and it's ONLY the 8vsb module that causes this. Without the 8vsb, the thing performs flawlessly. It's an inconvenience I accept for the convenience of having a dual 8vsb/HD decoder/satellite receiver in a single box.

DTC: We generally use DTV to refer to DirecTV, rather than D*. The "star" refers to Echo"star" the parent company of Dish network, hence E* as the short version of Dish Network.

·
Registered
619 Posts
In my book, DTV means Digital TeleVision. That was pretty sneaky of Hughes to pick a name (DirectTV) that would cause confusion six years down the road. What ever happened to DSS?

Back on subject, after I first installed my 6000, it would reboot for no reason about once every week or two. After installing the 8VSB module, that changed to once or twice a week. With V751 of the software, I have had one reboot, right after the software went in. I was ready to send it back before the warranty expired, but I guess my 6000 overheard me talking to tech support and decided to get its act together!

------------------

--Roland W. Fox

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.