AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for those of you with the Yamaha C750 or the 6770 you may have had experience with the player turning on and "slipping discs". For those of you unfamiliar with this, here is what happens. With the player completely OFF, you turn on the player using either the ON button on the player or remote or by pressing open. The player turns on and hesitates, makes some noise and the carousel starts spinning and then it sounds like it is "trying" to read a disc and this whislting sound gets louder until you finally power down the player. After that happens and you turn the player on again using the open button so you can get relief from the spaz behaviour of the player, you almost always see one of the discs is not in it's position on the tray, but is slightly ajar. Looking under the offending disc you often see scratches, depending on how long it tried to read the disc, and/or how badly the disc was out of place when the fiasco happened and it tried to read.

My potential solution so far has been to never ever press stop twice when done listening to a disc in the player when you are planning to power it down. When you press stop twice, the disc is taken out of the transport. If you only press stop once, the disc remains in the transport. When you turn on the player, that disc is the one that is read, rather than the player madly spinning it's carousel like it sometimes does. [ There is a possibility that there is another way of making sure the player retains a disc in the transport while shut OFF. You could press power down while a disc is playing and that may cause the disc to stay in the transport, but I haven't tried that yet, so I don't know if that is a solution. Plus, it seems rude to press power off while a disc in playing, at least not before pressing stop first
]

I am not positive that this "pressing stop only once before pressing power off" is the solution, but it seems to be working for me so far. Please feel free to try this and let me know how it works for you. I find this player rather handy and hope this discovery may extend it's useful life

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...potential... not realized. Of course, I turn it on yesterday and what does it do? Time for a new player.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had the same problem and did exactly what you do. Rather than sacrifice the discs I buy, it's easier to just remember to not be finger happy. I do also just turn it off - the player is rude to me by scratching, I'm rude by turning it off. Lol, sorted!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts