AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Good idea. But is this

1) A ploy to reduce ninty's finished goods inventory and parts of old (i.e. current) Wiis while they pre build Wii2 to shock us in 2011

2) A darn good attempt at hitting that 100% household penetration figure

3) Just a holiday marketing blitz to steal your attention from PS360/KinMove

-vdz

[fake edit]

ANSWER: 3

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Hmm. There's a limit to how long you can keep doing the repackaging thing.

With Apple muscling the DS with iPod Touch and iPad, and with MS muscling the Wii with XBox360/Kinect, Nintendo needs more than a new box and pigment in the plastic.

I bought the XBox/Kinect bundle and a couple of extra games. It's cool technology, and Dance Central at least is a great title, but the regular XBox interface is still a mess and the system is far too convoluted compared to the foolproof approach of Apple's iOS or even Nintendo's current system.

I'm spending 40% of my time with the Wii, 50% with the iPad, and 10% with the XBox. Aside from getting new games, I have no incentive to spend any money on Wii stuff, and I may just spend more on the XBox as time goes by. I'm sure I'll get used to its logic.

So Nintendo needs to compete on at least two fronts to keep someone like me: better video--hey, Nintendo, we all have high definition gear now-- and innovation in control. As nice as the Wiimote+ is/was, it's not Kinect competitive, so I hope they've got something in the bag.

FWIW, I don't think Sony's in any better position, probably worse.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think its clear that Sony is losing this generation. From what I have read, Move seems to be technically superior to Wii Motion + (unless I was reading slanted material), but the games are what moves a system not the hardware.

Were it hardware alone, Sony should have dominated by now - they are not. The most technically unimpressive console is shredding the competition through the lifespan of all the consoles so far - its b/c of the games.

I'm sure the PS3 could crank some uber impressive graphics for Mario Galaxy (imagine that game on the Ratchet and Clank engine !), but it will never happen.

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
It's not like Nintendo has not enjoyed success in the past w/ re-bundling existing stuff.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/19573537

I think its clear that Sony is losing this generation. From what I have read, Move seems to be technically superior to Wii Motion + (unless I was reading slanted material), but the games are what moves a system not the hardware.

It is definitely. But yeah, not a lot of games for it.

What the PS3 needs is Boom Blox

·
Registered
948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliko /forum/post/19615714

ummm... This is not the same bundle

Details!

But it's a mario kart bundle. Another damn bundle, which is what I was saying re: ploy vs innovation. Stay on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliko /forum/post/19615714

This is not a new console.

My Wii doesn't do 1080p over HDMI in 3D- that would require a new Nintendo console.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts