AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The mucky-mucks in allied industries and government alike are learning what many of us here have been preaching all along: high-definition is the "killer application" for DTV. Only public TV stations and Bud Paxon are interested in multicasting...public TV stations so they can offer more instructional television (and the dirty little secret: a channel that can be a revenue stream, like PPV, subscription or commerical-supported) and Bud because he thinks there's big dough in 5 channels of home shopping.

But the big boys have paid for the focus group studies and they've done the math and they've decided that the future will be in HDTV. It will become the de facto video format for acquisition and distribution. Standard-definition will eventually become the AM radio of video formats.

When you local news is in HD, which is already happening in a few markets, you may consider that to be "the handwriting on the wall."

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
HiDefDave, you are exactly right that HDTV is the DTV killer app, but there are more than just Bud and Public TV that disagree with us. Sinclair is working hard to develop several non-HD "revenue generating" uses of their DTV spectrum, probably using technology from their subsidiary visionair . There are many other opportunists who want to use the spectrum for other-than-HDTV, too. I believe sooner or later they will jump on the HDTV bandwagon, though. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yea, Powell could be finally waking up. I suspect the fact that HDTV seems

to be lurching forward is a surpise, shock, and to many in the broadcast

business, a dismay.

·
Registered
33,861 Posts
I had to laugh at Powell's statement: 'When I go into Circuit City, nobody is standing there staring at the 13-inch black-and-white,' 'They are all in that really dark room with the big ones. And if they are not buying it, they are wishing they could buy it.'

I wonder what CC that is? With the way the "big ones" are adjusted at any CC I've been to, the people are saying "this is HDTV?"

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think Powell hits the nail right on the head with the CC comment. When the price point is low enough and HDTV envy is high enough, it won't matter how well-adjusted the TV's are in CC's back rooms. "Normal" people put a lot of stock in the word on the street. When that word is "HDTV's cost as much as a car and you can't even receive any HDTV channels after fussing with antennas and decoders and 1394 and DVI and blah-blah-blah", it makes those of us who choose to pursue it anyway laughable rather than enviable.

As distasteful as it might seem, the HDTV revolution is in the hands of CC and Best Buy, and it depends not on hard facts or even beautiful images, but "cool" factor.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
While there are a certain number of people who are swayed by the "cool" factor, there just as many of us out here who purchase things for their intrinsic value as well. And HDTV has gobs of intrinsic value.

ron

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ken,

I hate to say it but your comments (I wonder what CC that is? With the way the "big ones" are adjusted at any CC I've been to, the people are saying "this is HDTV?") reflect my experiences at CC and BBuy over the last year and I'd have to say there's a bit of truth in your words.

Picture quality differences on most HD-RPTV's I've seen are subtle when compared to a comparable NTSC set, especially considering both are usually fed a diet of DBS material. At Nebraska Furniture Mart here in Omaha, Mitsubshi's 73" HDTV is always fed HD via Cox cable and is a crowd gatherer, alas our local CC and BBuy do not display this set.

Now in direct comparison to the RPTV retailers the non-mainstream custom AV outlets I've visited demo-ing large front projection systems always leave people with their mouths hanging open.

Proper setup and actual display of HD material on large scale FPTV systems at CC and BBuy would open the eyes of the public. Once they notice the differences they'll see the differences in their smaller HD-RPTV cousins. I'd venture to say they'd sell a lot more sets by simply installing a single dedicated FPTV in a light controlled room!

John

·
Registered
443 Posts
Quote:
Powell Showers Praises on HDTV: Could he possibly be waking up?
Powell's comments on HDTV have nothing to do with the service or any of the quality issues thereof. It has everything to do with the political landscape. Congressmen Tauzin, McCain and Dingall have, for months, been threatening legislation if the four primary industries - broadcasting, cable, consumer electronics manufacturers and the "creative" community (Hollywood) - don't get their collective act together to make this happen.

Those legislators have been prodding Powell to do something (he makes good speeches but is not necessarily a "man of action") to get the DTV transition moving. Understanding that the three legislator's committees also have oversight for the FCC and hold the purse strings for that agency, Powell has taken the big stick (threat of legislation) from his congressional masters and has moved into the limelight.

Conversely, the aforementioned four industries would much rather deal with the Commissioner of the FCC than deal the hard edicts of legislation. The result is that Powell looks good (read: political currency) and the four industries can make small concessions over time and call it "progress".

Ain't politics grand?

Question for Vic: I am tired of wondering...I need an answer: Who is that half-faced woman in the picture with you?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by pdennant
Powell's comments on HDTV have nothing to do with the service or any of the quality issues thereof. It has everything to do with the political landscape. Congressmen Tauzin, McCain and Dingall have, for months, been threatening legislation if the four primary industries - broadcasting, cable, consumer electronics manufacturers and the "creative" community (Hollywood) - don't get their collective act together to make this happen.

Those legislators have been prodding Powell to do something (he makes good speeches but is not necessarily a "man of action") to get the DTV transition moving. Understanding that the three legislator's committees also have oversight for the FCC and hold the purse strings for that agency, Powell has taken the big stick (threat of legislation) from his congressional masters and has moved into the limelight.
I agree with you completely. My "waking up" comment was somewhat facetious, being that he seemed to be stressing HDTV specifically, instead of just "value-added DTV programming", as he calls it. The sooner he and the other decision-makers (and I use that term loosely when it comes to Powell) realize that it's HDTV what will sell the transition to the public, and not multicasting, datacasting, interactivity, or VOD, the sooner we can get this moving. Once they see it, people will pay extra for HDTV. They will not pay extra for any of those other things.

Quote:
Question for Vic: I am tired of wondering...I need an answer: Who is that half-faced woman in the picture with you?
Yes, that is half of my other half :) . I sort of panned and scanned the picture to fit the frame (oh, the shame :eek: ). Here's the OAR:

http://members.aol.com/vruiz63/petus.jpeg

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
How do you find the time to keep coming up with these interesting nuggets?
He probably gets them where everyone else does: Lee Wood's News Forum (then click the "HDTV-Digital Television News Forum" link. -- I couldn't get that link to work because, I guess, it had a word that is too long.)

The real questions is: How does Lee Wood find the time to create these links every day?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I do is I go to www.tvinsite.com several times during the day to check for breaking news. Lee's site is an excellent resource for news from all kinds of different (and more obscure) sources that I really don't have the time to search for (nor do I know where to find). For a quick one-stop source for major entertainment news, TV Insite is an easy fix.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
He just gets them from here: http://www.tvinsite.com/

Under Breaking news, or Broadcasting and Cable, or Multichannel news etc. Some good articles. I look at it once or twice a day.

EDIT: Ooops, same time stamp. Yeah, what he said! ;)

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz
Yes, that is half of my other half :) . I sort of panned and scanned the picture to fit the frame (oh, the shame :eek: ).
Pan and Scan? Not the OAR? Vic, you should be ahsamed of yourself. You should also cut out your half of the picture and let your lovely wife get a little face time. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.