AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone plans to buy Power-A Pro EX USB controller, firmware 3.50 makes it partly incompatible. Before anyone responds why buy the 3rd party controller, some of us prefer X360 controller shape, location of left analog stick and concave top analog stick that prevents my thumb from sliding off.


The controller buttons and sticks are compatible with firmware 3.50 except the Home LEDs that display the assigned ID 1-4.


With firmware 3.50, the Home LEDs are stuck on displaying as assigned to ID 1 and 2 even the controller itself will properly assign to an ID on PS3. While this is a minor issue, not able to tell which ID the controller is assigned is inconvenient have to press Home button to check the assigned ID on the screen.


I have tested the controller on firmware 3.15 and the Home LEDs will properly display the assigned ID.


As for the functionality of the controller, I think it's quite good compared to Madcatz and Nyko controllers. The stick and buttons are responsive. There is a small dead zone with the analog stick but I'm able to easily zoom and aim properly when playing Uncharted 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,818 Posts
Thanks for the info; I was considering trying to find this thing as the grips on the official controller are too small. That's a weird function to lose. Comments on Youtube reviews and I think Amazon made the dead zone out to be a dealbreaker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
I have one on order now that should arrive tomorrow. When I first saw this posting I was worried but reading the details, no biggie. I only ordered one for me to use since I'm also very partial to the X360 controller, so not knowing which controller ID is assigned isn't an issue. Looking forward to trying it out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWells72 /forum/post/19530001


I have one on order now that should arrive tomorrow. When I first saw this posting I was worried but reading the details, no biggie. I only ordered one for me to use since I'm also very partial to the X360 controller, so not knowing which controller ID is assigned isn't an issue. Looking forward to trying it out!

When you receive your Power-A EX controller, please let me know if you see the same issue with Home button LEDs stuck at ID 1 and 2 if your PS3 firmware is 3.50. If yours happen to work properly with the Home LEDs, then mine is defective in an strange way. For me, having a working channel ID LEDs is more important because I often have other USB controllers such as Guitar Hero plugged to my PS3. Depending which USB controller responded first when I turn on my PS3, it's nice to be able to look at the controller LED and know which ID it's assigned to.


I spoke to Power-A customer service and they are surprised to hear about the partial incompatibility with firmware 3.50. The customer service person forwarded my question to their support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
I'm not seeing any issue with the Home button LEDs stuck and I'm on the latest firmware. However, I'm definitely noticing that the controller isn't as responsive as the standard PS3 controllers or the X360 controllers. I tried a few demos last night, in particular FPSes since those are the ones that most benefit from the X360 controller layout IMO, and while it feels great in my hands, it feels like things are always just a bit behind or imprecise. I'll keep playing with it but right now I'm a bit worried that this may not be a good purchase...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWells72 /forum/post/19539518


I'm not seeing any issue with the Home button LEDs stuck and I'm on the latest firmware. However, I'm definitely noticing that the controller isn't as responsive as the standard PS3 controllers or the X360 controllers. I tried a few demos last night, in particular FPSes since those are the ones that most benefit from the X360 controller layout IMO, and while it feels great in my hands, it feels like things are always just a bit behind or imprecise. I'll keep playing with it but right now I'm a bit worried that this may not be a good purchase...

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should reswap my controller for another. If mine is semi defective, it's still very odd because it works properly with the firmware 3.15. Maybe there are more than one hardware revision for the controller?

Just to be sure, when the controller is assigned to ID 1 or 2, the upper part of the Home LED may appear to display "correctly" because of the the LED lights placement inside the Home ring. Easiest to tell is have the controller assigned to ID 3 or 4. Or, plug the controller to a Windows PC because it will be assigned to ID 1. That makes it more obvious if the Home LED lighting looks the same as PS3. (First time I used the controller on my PS3 firmware 3.50, I thought that was how the Home LED lighted until I plugged it into a Windows PC and discovered the Home LED lighted differently).


Can you help to verify if the Home LED will properly light up when assigned to ID 3 or 4, or test it on a Windows PC? Thanks.



Power-A support still hasn't replied to my question after I talked to their customer service.


The controller does feel less responsive on the XMB, but when I'm playing games (not FPS), the controllers feels just as responsive and accurate, at least for me. I do like the feel of the controller shape and texture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Power-A called me back today and confirmed firmware 3.50 does cause the Home LED IDs to not display correctly. They are going to send me an adaptor that goes in between the controller and PS3 USB port.


I'll say Power-A customer service is very good in handling this issue because the product development herself called me with a solution.


Anyone who wants to the Home LED to function correctly with firmware 3.50, please give Power-A 888-664-4327 a call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D /forum/post/19540582


Power-A called me back today and confirmed firmware 3.50 does cause the Home LED IDs to not display correctly. They are going to send me an adaptor that goes in between the controller and PS3 USB port.


I'll say Power-A customer service is very good in handling this issue because the product development herself called me with a solution.


Anyone who wants to the Home LED to function correctly with firmware 3.50, please give Power-A 888-664-4327 a call.

Yeah, I think I'd misunderstood what you were saying because I never saw it pre-3.50. Now that I know what to look for, I'm seeing the same thing. I only have one of these controllers so I'm not worried about it, but yeah, it definitely lights up all four quadrants for me. Weird...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWells72 /forum/post/19544276


Yeah, I think I'd misunderstood what you were saying because I never saw it pre-3.50. Now that I know what to look for, I'm seeing the same thing. I only have one of these controllers so I'm not worried about it, but yeah, it definitely lights up all four quadrants for me. Weird...

Power-A and you both said all the Home LED channel lights are solid and mine is only 2 solid LED lights. Still curious why mine behaves differently. I think Sony added more than one layer of security check on USB controllers. With Power-A controller, channel security probably didn't pass and PS3 wouldn't return the controller channel to the USB controller even internally, PS3 has assigned an channel to the controller. Just showing how paranoid Sony gets coming to security checks.


My original Madcatz controller that came incompatible with firmware 3.50 had 4 LED channel lights. But the newer Madcatz controller replacement they sent me doesn't have the LED channel lights. Just a single LED that shows the controller is in sync with PS3. If there's no LED channel lights on the controller, the manufacturer doesn't have to deal with the extra compatibility on the security layer with the PS3 firmware.


I'm guessing the adapter that Power-A is sending me replaces the channel security layer. Will be interesting if the adapter is able to make other incompatible USB controller with firmware 3.50 compatible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,818 Posts
Managed to pick up one up locally today. It's as you say, the top half is brighter than the bottom always and plugging it into my PC lights up how I assume it's supposed to be as controller 1. I was kinda surprised by how it's just "brighter" depending on the quandrant though, rather than a clear delineation like an Xbox ring.


A bit disappointed that I can't start the console by hitting Home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan /forum/post/19550505


Managed to pick up one up locally today. It's as you say, the top half is brighter than the bottom always and plugging it into my PC lights up how I assume it's supposed to be as controller 1. I was kinda surprised by how it's just "brighter" depending on the quandrant though, rather than a clear delineation like an Xbox ring.


A bit disappointed that I can't start the console by hitting Home.

The reason why all 3rd party PS3 USB controllers can't turn on the PS3 is when PS3 is off, there is no power to the USB ports (unlike X360 console). 3rd party controller makers will have to use Bluetooth which is probably more expensive to license with Sony. There is one 3rd party Bluetooth controller available from Amazon but it's one of the most expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,590 Posts
I recieved one for free a while back due to a defective wired Power A controller (severe deadzones) and they replaced it with their top PS3 controller, and I still find it useless for shooters due to the deadzones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone found a 3rd party controller that doesn't have any dead zone like Sony brand?


To me, it's not the controller price. It's the custom arrangement of the left analog stick, concave top of the stick, trigger style R1 and R2, and physical shape of the controller. Can't buy those design with Sony DS3 controller. R1 and R2 can be semi fixed by using an trigger attachment but not the rest.


After using Power-A controller for a week, it has become my primary controller because I don't play a lot of FPS games. If I need a very precise aiming with FPS or fighting games, I'll use DS3 or fighting stick controller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Power-A shipped the USB adapter to me. It solved the Home channel LED ID. It also makes the controller auto connect when the PS3 is turned on without the need to press the Home button.


Before I received the USB adapter, my theory how it worked is by replacing the controller channel security layer and pass the standard USB controller calls to the controller. My other theory was can the USB adapter make USB X360 controller be compatible with PS3? See the spoiler.


I did some testing and found the USB adapter is doing what I thought. When the adapter is plugged in even by itself, it assigned itself an controller ID with the PS3. If I plug DS3 controller with an USB cable to the Power-A USB adapter, DS3 gets assigned to the Power-A USB adapter channel ID.


If you interested in making USB X360 controller compatible using Power-A USB Adapter. Not sure if Power-A wants me to tell others about it.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) What's more interesting is when I plug an USB X360 controller to the Power-A USB adapter, X360 controller becomes compatible with PS3. That is great because I have the very first edition 4 years old Madcatz X360 controller that has very precise analog stick that has almost no deadzone because by moving the analog stick very little, it allows the aiming to move very precisely in FPS. Newer edition of Madcatz X360 controller physically looks a little different from mine and I can't say if the quality is as good.


To get the 3rd party X360 controller to work with PS3, the Power-A controller needs to be plugged in by itself to be assigned an controller channel ID. Then, plug the USB X360 controller to the adapter. Even the Guide button LED channel ID ring works and can be changed from XMB.


I'm not surprised that Power-A USB adapter makes X360 controller compatible. Microsoft being greedy requires USB X360 controller to issue an authorized X360 handshaking security (kind of like PS3 Firmware 3.50 requires authorized controller handshaking security) with the console. PS3 USB controllers are standard USB controller. With Power-A USB adapter already passed the handshaking security and assigned a controller channel ID, it talks to the X360 controller in the standard USB mode which is what X360 controller really is anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Power-A USB adapter also enables USB X360 fight stick compatible with PS3. I have tested with Madcatz Street Fighter 4 X360 fight stick. All the special functions worked that include turbo and LS, RS and D-pad emulation on the analog stick.


Now I don't need to have two large fight sticks to play on both consoles.


Only if game controller manufacturers are willing to have built-in multi platforms compatibility for PS3/X360/PC, then those of us who play on multi platforms don't need to have multiple controllers sitting around like TV/DVD/Blu-ray/sound receiver remotes.


Update:

The 1st gen Guitar Hero USB guitar for X360 is also compatible with PS3 with the USB adapter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,531 Posts
Sounds like the Power A USB adapter is something someone could rather easily hack together from parts. Someone more knowledgeable than I am, unfortunately.


I can't stand the PS3 controller and was hoping Power A would be the answer, but there are too many reviews complaining about the deadzone -- as with all third-party PS3 controllers. Being able to use the actual 360 controller would be ideal for me.


Kind of weird Power A just sent you the thing for free. The Cross Battle Adapter that lets you use a 360 controller is $30, although it adds turbo functionality. Even the Deal Extreme knockoff is $16.50.


Do you get rumble with the 360 controller on the PS3?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard /forum/post/19704123


Sounds like the Power A USB adapter is something someone could rather easily hack together from parts. Someone more knowledgeable than I am, unfortunately.


I can't stand the PS3 controller and was hoping Power A would be the answer, but there are too many reviews complaining about the deadzone -- as with all third-party PS3 controllers. Being able to use the actual 360 controller would be ideal for me.


Kind of weird Power A just sent you the thing for free. The Cross Battle Adapter that lets you use a 360 controller is $30, although it adds turbo functionality. Even the Deal Extreme knockoff is $16.50.


Do you get rumble with the 360 controller on the PS3?

Since I got the Power-A controller, I have using it as my primary PS3 controller because it feels nicer and I like the X360 style left analog stick with concave top.


As for dead zone, I don't have problem with it playing fighting, action, flight sim and shooter games even with zoom aiming. But I can tell there is some dead zone while on XMB. I guess it depends on how picky you are with dead zone.


Since the USB adapter is to fix the slight incompatibility caused by firmware 3.50, Power-A has to give it for free. I don't know if Power-A will fix the controller internally to be compatible with the firmware after they revised the controller hardware. If they do, then it's best to get the controller now because you can ask Power-A for the USB adapter.


I have an USB X360 controller that has turbo feature and it works great when using the USB adapter on PS3.


The rumble does work when using X360 controller with the USB adapter on PS3.


The only thing that wouldn't work properly is Guitar Hero hardware because the USB adapter turns into a generic USB controller. Guitar Hero checks to the USB controller to identify itself as guitar or drum hardware. So, it sees the X360 guitar as generic controller and refused to you use it as a guitar.


I mostly use the USB adapter for my X360 fight stick because I don't have to keep two fight sticks on the table for both my consoles.


Power-A USB PS3 controller is retail for $20 and I found it during Black Friday sale for less. The USB adapter itself is worth as much as the controller because it lets me use most X360 controllers on PS3.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top