AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering a stereo or 5 channel power amplifier to a pair of kef Reference 203/2, 202/2c and 201/2 HT-setup

I have a Onkyo 5007 receiver and my 203/2:s is part of a 5.1 home theatre system aswell.

What amplifier is generally considerd to match Kef reference series best?

Anybody got any experience?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I am very interested in this also as am close to picking either Revel Studio2 & Voice2 or Kef 205/2 & 202/2c. Some good Kef sources have recommended McIntosh, Bryston and Parasound Halo. The McIntosh MC8207 is something I am looking at currently.

ATI also comes recommended by many and you can pick 180, 200 or 300 wpc and between 2 & 7 channels. ATI, along with Sherbourn, appear to be commonly used in high end home theater. Now while many good sources give the thumbs up on ATI I have had a few naysayers which messes with your head.

I am looking forward to hear what others say and what you choose.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Take a look at Wyred 4 Sound and d-link. They both make light, efficient multi-channel amps you can configure pretty much how you want.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
What is best match is down to personal preference. I have a Musical Fidelity integrated amp (150WPC) in HT bypass mode for my front KEF Ref. No need to go overboard with wattage. If you already have a powerful AVR going for ext. MCH power amp is overkill.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca  /t/1418683/power-amp-for-kef-reference-ht-setup#post_22191763

What is best match is down to personal preference. I have a Musical Fidelity integrated amp (150WPC) in HT bypass mode for my front KEF Ref. No need to go overboard with wattage. If you already have a powerful AVR going for ext. MCH power amp is overkill.

This is exactly why im asking. There seems to be two camps - one who says that the Onkyo is ridiculously underpowered and a total mismatch for my speakers. The other camp says, more or less, what you write above. I just want to be sure i dont miss anything big with the Onkyo.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
What I was saying is you probably don't need ext. power for all speakers, the Onkyo at 55lb and rated at 145W 2CH driven (but bench test showed 174W 2CH, 68W5CH) should be capable of driving the two surrounds. It does look a bit low powered for 5CH! So for a 5.1 having ext. power for FL/R or LCR to cover the most important channels would probably do. Do you hear something not right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca  /t/1418683/power-amp-for-kef-reference-ht-setup#post_22194039

What I was saying is you probably don't need ext. power for all speakers, the Onkyo at 55lb and rated at 145W 2CH driven (but bench test showed 174W 2CH, 68W5CH) should be capable of driving the two surrounds. It does look a bit low powered for 5CH!

Indeed it does! 68W is kind of ridiculous, sure it will have more powe IRL when watching a movie.But I think im going for Earthquake Cinenova 7 or Cininova Grande 5

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It's capable of 174W for 2CH if other channels aren't used. Each channel is not limited to 68W when others are idle. If you still say 174W for 2CH for the rears is not good enough for you I'm not going to argue this further, when you have money to spend. If you already have KEF Ref by all means have whatever you want. I myself would not trust a mass market brand AVR for reference level speakers. Hence I had NAD before and Arcam now.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I am certainly not an expert, but based on a multitude of discussions I've had with sources in the industry, a three channel amp for the L/C/R would be all you need. An ATI AT2003 would be the best bang for the buck option on the three channel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts