AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving to separates. First purchase will be an amp. Would like some input from owners of the following amps:

ATI AT2007

B&K REF 200.7

Aragon 2007

Sherbourn 7/2100

Adcom

Anthem

Thanks. :D

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well the only thing that might be different is price (of course asthetics are different also). I think most of those amps you mentioned (save for anthem as you stated no model for that MCA 50) are around 200 watts per channel.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Looks like you want a 7 channel unit. I'm using an Anthem PVA-7 with the AVM-20. Very happy. Some may down play the watt rating... It has not let me down on any of the demanding action oriented DVD's and it is incredibly quiet, very well built. Great value for the money. Check the Secrets review at
www.hometheaterhifi.com .

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you can wait until March, it is certainly worth considering the Emotiva amplifier....it is a modular power amplifier featuring a "card cage" design that can accommodate up to seven 200 watt mono block power modules. It was demo'd at CES and has received rather positive press...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've always been a fan of the Aragon "sound" ever since I picked up the 4004 MkII over ten years ago (I still have it). I just upgraded my "3-channel & receiver used as an amp" arrangement and acquired an Aragon 2005. It hasn't lost any of the Aragon magic, as far as I'm concerned - though many people dislike the "HT" orientation Aragon is taking their electronics with the 2000 & 3000 series amps, vice a "music" orientation (i.e., downgrading the power supply, the build quality, heatsink area, etc.). So far the 2005's held its own with the 4004. I am planning to upgrade to an 8008 MkII or a pair of the new Palladiums, but that isn't going to happen for awhile. :(

I'd say the top three (I'd include the Sherbourn on reputation alone) are very similar to each other - you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I've listened to my friend's ATI1505 on JM Lab speakers, and a B&K Ref200.7 at my local dealer with a variety of speakers (love those Piegas! - so does the better half).

I think the ATI's a bit more clinical - but it's hooked up to some pretty forgiving speakers - but it's a great amp. Detailed, a great spectral balance, except for a little more upper treble emphasis than I'm accustomed to. The B&K is a bit warmer, probably more so than the Aragon (the 3-channel amp I sold was a B&K ST1430). It seems a little less fatiguing than the ATI, but not much so.

You really can't go wrong with all three, but they're a bit on the $$$ if you're just getting started in separates. In fact, the ATI 1505 & B&K 7250 were my alternatives on the 5-ch upgrade until I found an open box 2005 for sale. No opinion on the Sherbourn or the Anthem (really haven't listened to them closely).

The Adcom, in my opinion, loses just a little refinement, at least over the Aragon - but I'm going on the older models of Adcom. What you get is the best bang for the buck, bar none. Now I've heard the newer Adcom amps (like the 7605 you're looking at), are redesigned by a very notable designer (forgot the name - from CAL?) so I'm sure they're outstanding, if their track record holds.

I'd suggest step in a little cautiously and audition the Adcom (and the Anthem if you can find one as well), and see if you like it. If you do, probably your best choice to start!

Welcome to separates!

Happy Listening!

Chris

·
Registered
109 Posts
The same guy who designed the Cal Audio Amp 2500 designed the Adcom 7807 and I think the 7805, but definately the 7807. The 7807 is a scaled down version of the Cal amp with a different power supply if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The ATI 2000 and 3000 series have fully balanced circuits. I think this is an important feature that could provide an audible benefit. I don't think any of the others have fully balanced circuits, but I could be wrong. Bottom line will be what you hear in your system. ATI also has the longest waranty - 7 years, FWIW.

Dsmith

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the Adcom 7807/7805 have removeable power cords?From what I can see on the Adcom web site they do not, yet the 7605 does. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have an Anthem MCA2 and an MCA5 for 7 channels in my system and I love them. Lots of smooth effortless power, yet refined and capable of bringing out all the subtleties in music and/or movie soundtracks. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had an ADCOM GFA 7605 powering 4 ohm speakers(POLK LSI) and on high volume after 45 minutes would clip than go into protection mode on at least one channel sometimes two.I have since sold that amp and have a OUTLAW 755 on the way.Now the ADCOM was rated at 175w per c at 4 ohm and the OUTLAW IS rated at 300 w and with all other specs being same or better.Time will tell if this new amp will perform better as these speakers are difficult to drive but the ADCOM was unacceptable in this application.I won't bash ADCOM as I should of got the 7805 in the first place but I can't recommend the 7605 for 4 ohm speakers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.