AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at putting a power condtioner in my av rack and would need to run a 20 foot cord in the wall to plug my projector in to it.

IS this a good idea or should i just put a surge protector on the projector and call it good

I have 6-8 components in the server rack

Thanks

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Actually using a UPS, rather than just a surge strip or a power conditioner, is best since you want to keep the projector's cooling fan running in case of a power outage. This allows you to shut down the projector permitting the projector's lamp to cool down normally. Otherwise power outages can shorten the life for the projector's lamp. A standard UPS for a PC with a 550 KVA rating, or higher, should work OK for most consumer HT projectors.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I did this exact same thing last year, as have others. Ran power from a UPS in my equipment rack to an Optoma HD-80. UPS is an APC J15 combination power conditioner / UPS. Not cheap (but not expensive compared to most high end audio power conditioners) and it's a very well made, nice looking unit.

What you want for connecting power to the projector through the wall is a power inlet. Do some searching here or google and you'll find info. You'll plug a power cord from the inlet to the UPS, and wire the inlet with cable to the projector. Pay attention to code for running power - you can run a fire or electrocution hazard if you don't do it right, and it's not that much more to do it right with something like a Leviton 4937 inlet which cost $10-15.

There's also a littler fancier solution called PowerBridge designed for this, which includes both ends (outlet/inlet).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts