AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustu kaiser /forum/post/20868820

Hello please can you shed some light as for the power cable of the Onkyo TX NR 809

The plug has 3 prongs but I see only 2 pins on the rear panel as there the power cable is fixed?

Several receivers are using only 2 pin power now. I 'm guessing a little

but I think it helps eliminate ground loop hum. Plug it in and does it work?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's wired in that manner? I mean I know it's meant to take care of the ground loop hum but there are only 2 pins on the the onkyo's end and there are 3 on the plug end....so wondering how it works???

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Don't worry about it. With all the return/ground connections from other components they probably found not having an AC cord ground reduced the chance of a ground loop.

I have seen the same thing on several different units.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
That 3rd plug is to ground the chassis. I don't see how any other device is going to absorb a shock to the chasis unless there's a serious electrical wiring issue inside the receiver. I.e something is shorted to the chasis. If you don't mind getting electrocuted if you're holding the receiver when the tranformer blows or something else grounds to the chasis, then by all means, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You're describing IEC60320 wiring - where the C13 terminated cable is a lot more common and generally cheaper than the C17 cabling (C13 connectors are used for everything from computers to musical instruments). Nothing at all is wrong with this scenario, and the reason for removing the grounding pin is to help mitigate ground loop problems. The device *should* be Class II if it's using C17/C18, which means that it should not be capable of delivering an electric shock through its casing.

Read more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes#Class_II

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.