AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this question.

I have just a few electronics components including a TV, audio, and computer components that I want to protect from power surges. Do I need to have a power conditioner or console like Belkin's pureAv or someone elses. Can you let me know if this is a neccessity to prevent damage? If so, which are the ones I should be looking at to purchase?

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think that the agreement on the board is that if you have good power most of the time, then you really don't need the conditioner, but go with a UPS system instead.

This UPS battery backup will not only stop surges, but will also allow you to power down your equipment in case of a power failure. You could also get a conditioner and UPS in a single unit, but expect to pay more for that.

I bought an APC UPS and conditioner in one component that works very well for me.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Liebert GXT2 for UPS. APC SmartUPS is probably #2.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus /forum/post/0

How does a battery stop a surge, if neither the battery nor the invertor are even in the circuit most of the time?

Liebert GXT2 and I believe also APC SmartUPS are online UPS.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Best value by far: Belkin PF60. Under $200 brand new if you look in the right places online.

If you have crappy power in your house, it will make a difference. If you have good wiring, these things will do nothing for you. So basically, I agree with what was said above.

I'm buying a PF60.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
You don't need a perfect sine wave, but it depends on how good/bad a stepped sine wave is for it to be acceptable.

Check Ebay for GXT2's. They're really quite good...

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milord /forum/post/0

I just bought a Tripplite Smart Pro 1000 LCD and am very happy with it. Much cheaper than the comparable APC products.

Is this unit loud? I was looking at some APC products but they had a fan in them and were rated at 45db. I don't see a db rating for the Tripplite. The picture makes it look like it doesn't have a fan so it may be silent.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitom /forum/post/9490933

Is this unit loud? I was looking at some APC products but they had a fan in them and were rated at 45db. I don't see a db rating for the Tripplite. The picture makes it look like it doesn't have a fan so it may be silent.

bump

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.