AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I will fully admit my stupidity on this subject, but here is my question. I'm moving into an older apartment that has all ungrounded outlets. I have a power conditioner for my whole setup, but will it even matter if it isn't grounded?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Lots of units use the safety ground as part of the system. They dump the noise current to the safety ground. This sometimes gives GFIC's problems because then the hot lead current and the neutral current are not the same.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The outlets should be grounded even if they are only 2 prong. There are "cheater" plugs, 3 prong which plug into 2 prong outlets with a ring connector to attach to the small screw in the center of the outlet.

I would get one and then check that the polarity of the plug is correct and that the ground does exist.

It is amazing how many times people reverse the black and white wires on outlets. There really is a right way to do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah had a bunch of the 'cheater plugs' and my power conditioner seems to be happy. I moved in a couple days ago and the power is actually rock solid for such an old place, and it seems as if everything is wired and grounded properly which blows my mind.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailn /forum/post/14367420

The outlets should be grounded even if they are only 2 prong. There are "cheater" plugs, 3 prong which plug into 2 prong outlets with a ring connector to attach to the small screw in the center of the outlet.

I would get one and then check that the polarity of the plug is correct and that the ground does exist.

It is amazing how many times people reverse the black and white wires on outlets. There really is a right way to do it.

That only works if the box is grounded most old homes had a metal box

with romex 2 wire no conductive connection from outlet box to service box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts